New Neyveli Thermal Power Station
The New Neyveli Thermal Power Station is a 1,000 megawatt lignite-fired thermal power station in Tamil Nadu, India.
The plant is planned to replace the 1,020 megawatt Neyveli Thermal Power Station I .
The power station is being constructed near Neyveli village in Cuddalore district.
On its website NLC states that the anticipated phase out of Neyveli Thermal Power Station I between 2009 and 2014 is "due to ageing of the plant". On its website NLC states that:
- "it has been proposed to set up a power plant at Neyveli with a capacity of 2 x 500 MW, for which MOC has accorded sanction for the advance action proposals including for carrying out certain studies in respect of augmentation of existing mines. Preliminary activities such as preparation of Feasibility Report, Environmental studies, Contour Survey and Soil investigation study are in progress. Our company has initiated action for obtaining Mega Power Project status for this project so as to avail certain concessional duties. The estimated cost of the power project is Rs. 5000 crores."
In January 2014, NLC said the power station would be commissioned in 2017-2018.
On December 28, 2018, NLC India conducted the boiler light-up test for the first unit, an initial step toward commissioning.
In April 2012, the State Bank of India agreed to provide the project with a US$490 million loan.
Sponsor: NLC India Limited, formerly Neyveli Lignite Corporation
Location: Neyveli village, Cuddalore district, Tamil Nadu
Coordinates: 11.5470552, 79.4428897 (exact)
- Unit 1: 500 MW
- Unit 2: 500 MW
Start year: 2019 (Unit 1), 2021 (Unit 2)
Coal Type: Lignite
Coal Source: Neyveli Lignite mine
Estimated annual CO2: 5,913,701
Source of financing: US$490 million in debt from the State Bank of India
Permits and applications: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, October 21, 2010
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- "Barsingsar Lignite Power Plant", Global Energy Observatory, accessed January 2012.
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation, "Thermal plants: TPS - I", Neyveli Lignite Corporation website, accessed January 2012.
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation, "Future Plans", Neyveli Lignite Corporation website, accessed January 2012.
- "Neyveli Lignite Corporation unit-I expansion to be commissioned in February," Times of India, Jan 26, 2014.
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, December 2016, p. 39
- "Broad Status Report," India Central Electrical Authority, March 2017
- "NLC India conducts boiler light up for first unit of NNTPP 1000 MW," Ndaipurkiran, Dec 31, 2018
- Broad Status, India CEA, October 2019
- "PM Narendra Modi dedicates 1000 MW Neyveli new thermal power station to nation - The Financial Express". www.financialexpress.com. 2021-02-27. Retrieved 2021-05-07.
- "State Bank of India signs Neyveli power loan | News | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-10-22.