NextGen Energy Council
The NextGen Energy Council describes itself as "a non-profit collaborative of industry, Western and Great Plains Governors, academic institutions, financial leaders, conservation groups and others involved in the development and deployment of advanced clean-coal technologies." 
The Council's founder and senior advisor is Jim Sims, a Colorado-based PR professional with the firm Policy Communications, who has overseen the development of a series of coalitions and front groups arguing for policies beneficial to the energy industry.  The Council shares the same mailing address with several of Sims' other groups, including Partnership for America , the Western Business Roundtable  and Americans for American Energy .
A 2008 study released by the Council warned that the United States "faces potentially crippling electricity brownouts and blackouts beginning in the summer of 2009," while "opposition of well-funded environmental groups that oppose and file lawsuits against virtually every new infrastructure project proposed." 
The Council's website says its Board of Directors includes representatives from Alstom, American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity, APS/Pinnacle West, Arch Coal, Babcock & Wilcox, Evergreen Energy, Intermountain Rural Electric Association (IREA), Montana Dakota Utilities, PacifiCorp / MidAmerican Energy, Peabody Energy, Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, and Xcel Energy. 
The Council's 2006 IRS report names as Directors Stan Lewandoskoi of IREA, John Castleberry of MDU Resources Group, Ron Harper of Basin Electric Power Cooperative, Kelly Mader of Peabody Energy and Terry Ross of CEED. 
The Council reported $83,000 in "direct public support" in 2006, and $24,421 in expenses. The vast majority of the expenses -- $22,163 -- went towards "printing and publications." 
NextGen Energy Council
200 Union Boulevard
Lakewood, CO 80228
Email: info AT nextgenenergy.org
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- "NextGen FAQ," NextGen Energy Council website, accessed October 2008.
- Jim Sims: President/CEO/CEO", Policy Communications, accessed April 2008.
- "Contact," Partnership for America website, accessed October 2008.
- "Contact us," Western Business Roundtable website, accessed October 2008.
- "Contact AAE," Americans for American Energy website, accessed October 2008.
- Kent Harper, op/ed: "NextGen predicts power shortages," The Ely Times (Nevada), October 2008.
- "Professional staff," NextGen Energy Council website, accessed October 2008.
- "Board of Directors," NextGen Energy Council website, accessed October 2008.
- "NextGen Energy Council IRS form 990 (pdf)," accessed via GuideStar.org, October 2008.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|