Njord oil and gas field
Njord oil and gas field is a temporarily paused oil and gas in the Norwegian Sea, off the coast of Norway.
The map below shows the location of the field, in the Norwegian Sea, 30 kilometers west of the Draugen field.
Njord field was discovered in 1986 and its plan for development and operation (PDO) was approved in 1995. Production at Njord began on September 30, 1997. Oil from Njord A is transported via pipeline to Njord Bravo where it is ultimately taken to market via tanker. Gas is exported through a 40 kilometer pipeline to Åsgard Transport System (ÅTS) and then to the Kårstø terminal.
Between 1997 and 2007, Njord predominantly produced oil. Between 2008 and 2016, annual production of gas and natural gas liquids (NGL) was higher than that of oil.
The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate lists Njord's status as "Producing," however, in 2016, production from Njord was halted, because of Njord A structural integrity issues. An amended PDO was approved in 2017 for what is now known as the "Njord future project." Initially, the maintenance to the platform was expected to be finished and production to resume in 2020. However, the project operator, Equinor Energy, expects work to extend to the second half of 2021. Offshore Magazine reported in May 2020 that delays were due to "impact of COVID-19 and a slower pace of development."
Once upgrades are completed, Equinor says the field will be "ready to produce until 2040."
- Operator: Equinor Energy
- Parent companies: Wintershall [50%]; Equinor Energy [27.5%]; Neptune Energy [22.5%]
- Location: North Sea, Norway
- Coordinates: 56.1958, 3.464 (exact)
- Status: Shut in
- Reserves: Total recoverable reserves originally - 12.8 mill. Sm3 o.e.
- Oil recoverable reserves originally - 10.2 mill. Sm3 o.e.
- Gas remaining reserves 1.8 mill. Sm3 o.e.
- NGL remaining reserves 0.9 mill. Sm3 o.e.
- "Field: NJORD". Norwegianpetroleum.no. Retrieved 2021-02-04.
- "Njord Future Project, Norwegian Sea - Offshore Technology | Oil and Gas News and Market Analysis". www.offshore-technology.com. Retrieved 2021-02-04.
- "Njord start-up offshore mid-Norway deferred to 2021". Offshore. 2020-05-27. Retrieved 2021-02-04.
- "Njord - equinor.com". www.equinor.com. Retrieved 2021-02-04.
- "Map services". www.npd.no. Retrieved 2021-02-03.