North Macedonia–Greece Interconnector Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
North Macedonia–Greece Interconnector Gas Pipeline is a proposed network of gas pipeline interconnections in Greece and North Macedonia.
The interconnector will pass through Nea Messimvria, Greece; Evzoni, Greece; Gevgelija, North Macedonia; and Negotino, North Macedonia.
- Owner: MER JSC Skopje
- Financing: €25 million loan from the European Investment Bank (EIB) for the Greek section of the Interconnector; €27 million loan from the EIB for the North Macedonian section
- Cost: €55 million (US$66 million)
- Status: Proposed
- Start Year: 2022
The North Macedonia-Greece Interconnector project will ensure supply of additional quantities of gas from Greece and other sources that will be available through Greece, direct connection to the Revithoussa LNG Terminal, and transit of additional quantities of natural gas intended for Kosovo and Serbia.
The interconnector includes Greece's Nea Messimvria–Eidomene/Gevgelija gas pipeline. Both pipelines are a part of the "EAST 17" group, according to the TYNDP2020 PS-CBA Groups list. The North Macedonia-Greece Interconnector project code is TRA-A-980.
In May 2020, the European Investment Bank approved a €25 million loan for financing the construction of the 55 kilometre long Greek section of the Interconnector. At the same time the EIB approved a €27 million loan for financing the construction of the North Macedonian section.
Articles and resources
- ENTSOG TYNDP 2020 - Annex A - Projects Tables, ENTSOG, accessed January 2020.
- GAS INTERCONNECTOR GREECE-NORTH MACEDONIA GRPART, European Investment Bank Projects, May 12, 2020
- GAS INTERCONNECTOR GREECE-NORTH MACEDONIA NMPART, European Investment Bank Projects, May 12, 2020
- Bojan Stojkovski, Balkan countries look to boost energy diversification with multiple interconnection projects, Medium.com, Nov. 24, 2020
- European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas. "PS-CBA Groups - entsog". ENTSOG. Retrieved September 16, 2020.
- Gas_04B North Macedonia-Greece Interconnector, Energy Community, accessed Jan. 17, 2020.