North Macedonia–Greece Interconnector Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
North Macedonia–Greece Interconnector Gas Pipeline is a proposed network of gas pipeline interconnections in Greece and North Macedonia.
- Length: 123 km / 76 miles
- Cost: €70 million (US$83 million)
- Start Year:
The North Macedonia section of the project is referred to by ENTSOG as "Interconnection North Macedonia-Greece (North Macedonian part)" and by its project code: "TRA-A-980". ENTSOG describes this section of the project's purpose as to " ensure supply of additional quantities of natural gas from Greece and other sources that will be available through Greece, direct connection to the existing LNG Terminal Revithoussa and possibly transit of additional quantities of natural gas intended for UNMIK and/or Serbia." DESFA has requested approximately €17 million in grants from the European Union for the project's construction. As of late 2020, the funding decision was pending.
The Greek section of the project is is referred to by ENTSOG as "Nea-Messimvria to Evzoni/Gevgelija pipeline (IGNM)" and by its project code: TRA-A-967. ENTSOG describes this section of the project as "a pipeline from Nea-Messimvria to the GR/MK border allowing the supply of North Macedonia by the Greek Gas Transmission System."
In May 2020, the European Investment Bank approved a €25 million loan for financing the construction of the 55 kilometre long Greek section of the Interconnector. At the same time the EIB approved a €27 million loan for financing the construction of the North Macedonian section. The project has also received grants of €1 million from the EU's technical assistance fund CONNECTA and €12.425 million from the Western Balkan Investment Framework.
Articles and resources
- ENTSOG TYNDP 2020 - Annex A - Projects Tables, ENTSOG, accessed January 2020.
- NNGS Development Plan 2017-2026, DEFSA, accessed Jan. 17, 2020.
- European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas (October 2020). "TYNDP 2020 Transmission Map" (PDF). ENTSOG.eu. Retrieved March 17, 2021.
- Bojan Stojkovski, Balkan countries look to boost energy diversification with multiple interconnection projects, Medium.com, Nov. 24, 2020
- GAS INTERCONNECTOR GREECE-NORTH MACEDONIA GRPART, European Investment Bank Projects, May 12, 2020
- Secretariat for European Affairs (2018). "SSPP.2018" (PDF). Government of the Republic of North Macedonia. Retrieved March 17, 2021.
- European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas. "PS-CBA Groups - entsog". ENTSOG. Retrieved September 16, 2020.
- TYNDP 2020 Annex A.1 – Project Details, ENTSOG, accessed Dec. 3, 2020
- GAS INTERCONNECTOR GREECE-NORTH MACEDONIA NMPART, European Investment Bank Projects, May 12, 2020
- Project of Mutual Interest: North Macedonia – Greece Gas Interconnector, Western Balkan Investment Framework, accessed Mar. 23, 2021