Nováky coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Nováky coal mine is an operating underground lignite coal mine in Trenčín Region, Slovakia.
It is one of two operating coal mines in Slovakia, along with the Handlová coal mine
The map below shows the locations of the mine, in the town of Nováky, in Prievidza District, Trenčín Region, Slovakia.
The Nováky coal mine is one of two operating underground lignite coal mines. Apart from the Čáry mine, a small mine in Western Slovakia, they are the only remaining operating coal mines in the country. They are operated by Hornonitrianske bane Prievidza (HBP). They produced a total of 1.1 million tons in 2020, all of which was supplied to the Nováky power station.
As of 2018, the mines continued to receive subsidies from the Slovak government. The mines are scheduled to be closed in 2027.
- Owner: Hornonitrianske bane Prievidza, a.s.
- Parent Company:
- Location: Nováky, Prievidza District, Trenčín Region, Slovakia
- GPS Coordinates: 48.7157985, 18.5562856
- Status: Operating
- Production: 1.1 MT (2020, together with Handlová)
- Total Reserves: 50.9 million tonnes (2006, together with Nováky) 
- Recoverable Reserves: 3.96 million tonnes (2006, together with Handlová)
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year:
- Workforce: 3,000 (together with Handlová).
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Hnedé uhlie, Hornonitrianske bane Prievidza (HBP) website, accessed Apr. 2021.
- Pavol Szalai, "Hornonitrianske bane budú čerpať dotácie a ťažiť uhlie aj po roku 2023", EURACTIV, 23 Nov. 2018.
- Inforse, "Brown Coal in Slovakia (PDF)", Inforse website, Accessed June 2021