Novo-Irkutsk power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Novo-Irkutsk power station (Ново-Иркутская ТЭЦ) is a 705-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Irkutsk province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is in Irkutsk city, Irkutsk province.
Background on Plant
In 2013 an additional 50-MW unit was commissioned. The unit had been part of the Ust-Ilimsk Thermal Power Plant, which was decommissioned in 2004. The unit was transported to Irkutsk in 2011.
In December 2019 Irkutskenergo announced that it planned to sell its power plant holdings to its subsidiary Baikal Energy Company for 27 billion rubles (approximately US$365 million). Baikal Energy Company would then be in a position to sell the assets to another company. The transfer of assets was planned to happen in stages and be complete by 2024. Gazprom Energoholding LLC emerged as a potential buyer; after acquisition, Gazprom would facilitate the conversion of these plants to gas.
In 2021, En+Group was working on modernizing the Novo-Irkutsk power station. As part of the modernization process, the company planned to add a new cooling tower to the power station in 2022, which would increase the summer capacity of the power station by 70 MW. The company also planned to spend 1.2 billion rubles (approximately US$16 million) to replace the main elements of boiler unit number 2.
- Sponsor: Baikal Energy Company
- Parent company: En+Group
- Location: Irkutsk city, Irkutsk province, Russia
- Coordinates: 52.246817, 104.203081 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 705 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: Units 1-5: 1975-87; Unit 6: 2013
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Global Power Plant Database, World Resources Institute, Version 1.0.0, April 2018.
- Novo-Irkutsk CHP Power Station Russia, Global Energy Observatory, accessed June 2018.
- Ново-Иркутская ТЭЦ, Wikipedia (Russian), accessed June 2018.
- На Ново-Иркутской ТЭЦ введут турбину 50 МВт, Gazeta Irkutks, Dec. 19, 2013
- Иркутскэнерго продаст дочке весь теплогенерирующий и сетевой комплекс Иркутской области, Neftegaz, Dec. 31, 2019.
- В Иркутской области статус ресурсоснабжающей организации присвоен "Байкальской энергетической компании", sia.ru, Oct. 8, 2020
- Russian energy giant looks to shed coal assets, reports say, Bellona, Dec. 5, 2019
- Приход "Газпрома" и повышение тарифов, Irkutsk Media, Feb. 3, 2020
- Коллектив Ново-Рязанской ТЭЦ поздравили с Днем энергетика мэр Рязани Елена Сорокина и другие представители власти, RZN, Dec. 23, 2021
- На Ново-Иркутской ТЭЦ начата комплексная замена основных элементов котельного агрегата № 2, Siberian News, Sep. 8, 2021
- Ново-Иркутская ТЭЦ, energybase.ru, accessed January 2020