Ust-Ilimskaya CHP power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Ust-Ilimskaya CHP power station (Ust-Ilimsk, Усть-Илимская ТЭЦ) is a 515-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Irkutsk province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is near the Ust-Ilimsk sawmill, in Ust-Ilimsk town, Irkutsk province.
Background on Plant
The six-unit, 565-MW coal-fired Ust-Ilimskaya CHP power station is owned by Irkutskenergo, which in turn is 90.2% owned by En+Group. The plant’s six units were brought online between 1978 and 1990. The plant is a cogeneration plant, powering Ilim Timber's Ust-Ilimsk sawmill. It also provides electricity and heat to the residential section of the city of Ust-Ilimsk.
In 2004 one of the plant's 50-MW units was retired, due to insufficient demand for electricity. In 2011 the unit was transported to the Novo-Irkutsk power station where it was re-commissioned in 2013.
In December 2019 Irkutskenergo announced that it planned to sell its coal plants and other coal assets, possibly to Gazprom Energoholding LLC, which would facilitate the conversion of these plants to gas.
In December 2019 Irkutskenergo announced that it planned to sell its power plant holdings to its subsidiary Baikal Energy Company for 27 billion rubles. The sale was finalized on Sep. 1, 2020. The assets were planned to be transferred in tranches, with the transfer planned for completion in 2024. According to the terms of the deal, the assets could not be sold before the completion of the transfer. Gazprom was still considered the probable ultimate buyer for the assets.
- Sponsor: Baikal Energy Company
- Parent company: En+Group
- Location: Ust-Ilimsk sawmill, Ust-Ilimsk town, Irkutsk province, Russia
- Coordinates: 58.050903, 102.808966 (exact)
- Status: Units 1, 3-6: Operating; Unit 2: Retired
- Gross capacity: 515 MW
- Unit 1: 60 MW (operating)
- Unit 2: 50 MW (retired)
- Unit 3: 110 MW (operating)
- Unit 4: 50 MW (operating)
- Unit 5: 100 MW (operating)
- Unit 6: 185 MW (operating)
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1978-80 (Units 1-5); 1990 (Unit 6)
- Coal type: Sub-bituminous
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Усть-Илимская ТЭЦ, SO-UPS, Accessed January 2022
- Global Power Plant Database, World Resources Institute, Version 1.0.0, April 2018.
- Ust IIimskaya Coal Power Plant Russia, Global Energy Observatory, accessed June 2018.
- На Ново-Иркутской ТЭЦ введут турбину 50 МВт, Gazeta Irkutks, Dec. 19, 2013
- Russian energy giant looks to shed coal assets, reports say, Bellona, Dec. 5, 2019
- Приход "Газпрома" и повышение тарифов, Irkutsk Media, Feb. 3, 2020
- Иркутскэнерго продаст дочке весь теплогенерирующий и сетевой комплекс Иркутской области, Neftegaz, Dec. 31, 2019.
- В Иркутской области статус ресурсоснабжающей организации присвоен "Байкальской энергетической компании", sia.ru, Oct. 8, 2020