Opgoedenhoop coal project
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The Opgoedenhoop coal project is located in the Ermelo coalfield about 11 km southeast of Hendrina in the Nkangala District in the Mpumalanga province. It is also known as OP Goedenhoop.
The map below shows the exact location of the project.
In March 2014, South Africa's Department of Mineral Resources approved the sale of the Opgoedenhoop mining right. Miningmx reported that "the company had received a R5m deposit for the mineral right from an indisclosed buyer."
CoAL changed its name to MC Mining in December 2017.
After mentioning a default in 2018, MC Mining reported the conclusion of the sale in June 2019. In November 2019, the Department of Mineral Resources reported it as an operating mine owned by Muhanga Mines.
- Owner: Muhanga Mines (Pty) Ltd
- Parent company: Mbuyelo Coal
- GPS coordinates: -26.183197,29.824445 (exact)
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves:
- Coal type:
- Mine size:
- Mine type:
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Resources and articles
- Coal of Africa Limited Annual Report 2010, MC Mining website, accessed November 2019.
- DMR approves disposal of CoAL mining right, Engineering News, 27 Mar. 2014.
- CoAL Goedenhoop sale approved by DMR, Miningmx, 27 Mar. 2014.
- Coal in southern Africa: MC Mining, new name and new focus, Mining Review Africa, 6 Mar. 2018.
- Integrated Report 2018, MC Mining Integrated Report, 22 Oct. 2018.
- Annual Report 2019, MC Mining Annual Report, 23 Oct. 2019.
- OPERATING MINES IN MPUMALANGA, Department of Mineral Resources website, accessed Nov. 7, 2019.