Panbei power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Panbei power station (国投盘江盘北发电厂) is a 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Guizhou Province, China.
Additional 2 x 350 MW units has been proposed.
The map below shows the plant, in Saji Town, Pan County, Liupanshui Prefecture, Guizhou Province.
Background on Project
In February 2009, SDIC and Panjiang Investment Holdings co-founded SDIC Panjiang Electricity Generation Co, with 55% owned by SDIC and 45% by Panjiang Investment Holding. The goal of the company is to develop waste coal power plants in Panjiang and Shuicheng, the two mining areas in Liupanshui Prefecture. The company proposed an 1800MW coal plant in the Panjiang mining area in 2009, including Panbei power station with 600MW, Laowuji wast coal power station with 600MW, Xiangshui power station with 300MW, and Huopu power station with 300MW.
In 2010, Guizhou Provincial DRC approved for SDIC Power Holdings to start preliminary work on a 2400MW of coal capacity in Panjiang and Shuicheng mining areas, including the 4 x 300 MW Panbei power station, the 2 x 300 MW Pan'nan power station, and the 2 x 300 MW SDIC Wangjiazhai power station.
The first two units of Panbei power station went operation in 2013 and 2014.
In the end of 2014, Laowuji Waste Coal power station was permitted by provincial DRC. The capacity changed to 2x 150MW, with a 12MW back-up unit.
In 2017, both Xiangshui power station and Huopu power station disappeared from the company's recruitment ad. Pannan power station with 2*350MW, Wangjiazhai power station with 2 x 350MW are still seeking permitting. A new 2 x 660MW plant with the name of Liupanshui Circling Economy demonstrating power station is newly proposed. SDIC Panjiang Electricity Generation Co has also established renewable energy preparatory office to develop solar and wind power projects since 2016.
Panbei power station is the first and the only project that the company has carried out. It is a 600 MW subcritical waste coal-fired power station. Construction began in 2011. The first unit (300 MW) began operating on July 11, 2013 and the second unit (300 MW) on December 17, 2014. The total investment was 2.79 billion yuan.
2016: Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
Due to new restrictions announced during 2016 by the National Energy Administration and the National Development and Reform Commission, further capacity expansions at this location appear to be on hold or cancelled. Specifically, Guizhou is a "red light" district where no new plants should be permitted indefinitely. For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
With no developments since 2014, expansion plans appear cancelled.
- Sponsor: SDIC Panjiang Electricity Generation Co.
- Parent company: SDIC and Panjiang Investment Holdings
- Location: Saji Town, Pan County, Liupanshui Prefecture, Guizhou Province, China
- Coordinates: 26.064595, 104.534107 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Units 1-2), Cancelled (Units 3-4)
- Gross capacity: 600 MW (Units 1-2: 300 MW); 700 MW (Units 3-4: 350 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service: 2013 (Unit 1), 2014 (Unit 2)
- Coal type: Waste coal
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "转型引领新跨越—贵州盘江投资控股（集团）有限公司发展纪实"《 中国能源报 》, 2012-02-20
- "国投盘江发电有限公司人员招聘启事," BJX Jobs, 2009-03-11
- "国投华靖公司贵州煤矸石发电项目前期工作取得重要进展," SDIC, 2010-1-28
- "老屋基电厂上大压小热电联产动力车间项目通过省发改委核准"盘江股份网（www.pjgf.cn), 2015-01-26
- "国投盘江发电有限公司设备管理部热聘公告"BJX Jobs, 2017-06-02
- "国投盘江发电有限公司," SDIC website, accessed July 2015
- "国投电力与盘江股份合建低热值发电厂二期获批," jd.com, 2014年05月14日