Parit Baru power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Parit Baru power station is a 210-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station under development in West Kalimantan Province, Indonesia. The plant has also gone by the names Jangkat and Kalbar 3. Note that a separate Kalbar-3 power station project has been proposed as well, which would operate as a mine-to-mouth power station.
Location of Parit Baru Units 1 & 2
Units 1 & 2
Work on the Parit Baru project began in 2010 and completion was initially targeted for 2012. It was the first coal plant EPC (engineering, procurement, and construction) contract undertaken by a joint venture comprising Gazhouba Group in Indonesia (a subsidiary of China Energy Engineering Corporation) and PT Praba Indopersada (a subsidiary of general contractor firm Praba Group of Indonesia). In May 2011 it was estimated that the project would cost US$172 million. The project is 85% financed by the Export-Import Bank of China which provided a US$133 million loan for the plant's construction in 2011. The joint venture between the two companies was formalized in a memorandum of understanding at the conclusion of a three day visit to Indonesia by Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao. On the trip Jiabao pledged $19 billion in investment and loans to a range of projects in Indonesia.
In March 2013, 78 Chinese-national workers at the Parit Baru construction site were threatened with deportation for lacking proper work authorization. Hundreds of Chinese workers were repatriated in 2013. According to the 2015-2024 PT PLN supply plant, Parit Baru 1 and 2 will be completed in 2016. However, in November 2016 it was reported that construction on the units had been delayed.
In September 2013, construction resumed on the project. The project faces the South China sea in the west and is adjacent to the Pontianak-Singkawang provincial highway. It occupies 40 hectares. According to the contract, construction will be completed in 33 months. In November 2016, the Operations and Construction Manager of PT PLN West Kalimantan Development Master Unit, I Wayan Semudiarsa, said that the Parit Baru project was experiencing financial difficulties and progress was slow.
In March 2017, President Joko Widodo stated that after seven years the legal problems that had delayed the plant were resolved and the plant was moving toward completion.
In June 2018 Unit 1 was commissioned.
Financing for Units 1 and 2
In 2011, China's Exim Bank announced it would provide a $133 million loan for Units 1 and 2.
Units 3 & 4
The project is proposed to be expanded by two additional 50-MW coal-fired units. According to the 2015-2024 PT PLN supply plan, Parit Baru Units 3 and 4 will be completed in 2017 and 2018 respectively. However, as of April 2016, these units had not yet begun construction, as shown by Google Earth archival imagery. In October 2018 a 2 x 55 MW plant with the name of "Kalbar 3" was listed as being under construction in Bengakayang Regency, which is adjacent to Pontianak Regency where Units 1 and 2 are operating. Units 3 and 4 do not appear in the RUPTL 2017-2026, RUPTL 2018-2027, or RUPTL 2019-2028. Satellite photography from Planet does not show further construction occurring at Parit Baru between August 2019 and December 2019.
In May 2021, Indonesia's National Land Agency issued land certificates for 18 PLN projects in Kalimantan, including land for the construction site of the Parit Baru expansion project. The Parit Baru expansion will be kocated in Bengkayang, about 60 miles north of Parit Baru Units 1-2, and near the Kalbar-1 power station
June 2021 news reports lists the 2 x 50 MW Parit Baru expansion as one of 34 projects being developed by PLN whose construction had either been "hampered" or "stalled". 12 of those projects were declared to have been cancelled, but government officials stated that they planned to continue development of the Parit Baru expansion.
- Sponsor: Gezhouba Group and PT Praba Indopersada
- Parent: China Energy Engineering Corporation and Praba Group
- Location: Jungkat Village, Siantan District, Pontianak Regency, West Kalimantan Province
- Coordinates: 0.05798, 109.20362 (exact)
- Status: Unit 1: Operating; Unit 2: Operating; Units 3-4: Permitted
- Gross Capacity: 200 MW (Units 1 & 2: 50 MW; Units 3 & 4: 55 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service: Unit 1: 2018; Unit 2: 2019; Units 3-4: 2020
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: Units 1 and 2: US$133 million in debt from Export-Import Bank of China
Articles and resources
- PLTU Parit Baru, Jungkat, Pnk., Wikimapia, accessed Mar. 2015.
- "Menyoal Pembangunan PLTU di Kalbar," Pontianakpost.co.id, 2 June 2016
- Linda Yulisman, "Chinese firm to build coal-fired power plant in W. Kalimantan", Jakarta Post, May 03 2011.
- China Exim Bank provides $133 million loan to Indonesia for construction of Parit Baru power plant, China.AidData.Org, accessed Jun.19, 2020.
- Rencana Strategis (Strategic Plan) KESDM 2015-19, Indonesia Ministry of Energy & Natural Resources, 24 Feb. 2015.
- 78 Pekerja PLTU Asal Cina Terancam Deportasi, Republika, 20 Mar. 2013.
- "Executive Summary: Electricity Supply Business Plan, PT PLN (Persero) 2015-2014,"
- "PLN unveils details of 34 troubled power plants under SBY govt being probed by KPK," Rambu Energy, November 24, 2016
- "Parit Baru Coal Fired Power Plant Construction Commenced," China Gezhouba (Group) Corporation press release, September 7, 2013
- "PLN: Dua Proyek Pembangkit Di Kalbar Masih Terkendala," AntaraKalbar.com, 14 November 2016
- "Jokowi Singgung PLTU Parit Baru Mangkrak," IndonesiaOversight, 19 March 2017
- PLN Operasikan PLTU Baru 50 MW di Kalimantan Barat, Industri, Jun. 6, 2018
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2019-2028, PT PLN Persero, V-51
- PLTU Parit Baru Site Bengkayang kapasitas 100 MW sudah beropersi penuh, Kalbar, Aug. 22, 2019
- LAPORAN KUNJUNGAN KERJA SPESIFIK KOMISI VI DPR RI KE PROVINSI KALIMANTAN BARAT, DEWAN PERWAKILAN RAKYAT REPUBLIK INDONESIA ], Oct. 10, 2018
- Amankan Aset Negara, BPN Terbitkan 18 Sertifikat Tanah di Bengkayang, iNewsKalbar, May 28, 2021
- Suci Sedya Utami, 12 Proyek Pembangkit Batu Bara Batal Dibangun, MedCom.id, 04 June 4, 2021