Peace River Coal
From Global Energy Monitor
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Peace River Coal states on its website that it is "a producer of high-quality metallurgical coal for export, from Canada is jointly owned by Anglo American plc, Hillsborough Resources Ltd., and NEMI Northern Energy and Mining Inc. Anglo American holds a 74% interest in Peace River Coal. Peace River Coal owns substantial coal properties in the Peace River region of northeast British Columbia."
Coal mines and projects
- Trend mine, which is located approximately 25 km south of Tumbler Ridge. The company states that "mining began at Trend in December 2005. The mine is permitted to produce up to 2 million tonnes of coal per year, for approximately ten years."
- Roman Mountain project, which is located "immediately south of the current Trend Mine, envisages an open pit mine producing up to 3 million tons of coal per annum with a life expectancy of about 10 years." The company states on its website that "a prefeasibility study will be completed in 2010; the Environmental Assessment report will be submitted in early 2010. Mining is envisaged to commence in 2013, with full production being achieved later in that year. Further northwestward extensions to the Roman Mountain resource are currently being investigated."
- Horizon project, which is located 10 km west of Trend Mine is, according to the company, "expected to produce up to two million clean tonnes of coal per annum, the majority of which is from an underground mine with a life expectancy of approximately 15 years."
- Belcourt and Saxon project is owned by Belcourt-Saxon Coal Limited Partnership, a joint venture of Western Coal and Peace River Coal. The undeveloped coal deposits are located 65 to 125 kilometres south of Tumbler Ridge in northeast British Columbia.
Suite 1900 - 1055 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 2E9
Tel: +1 (778) 786 7400
Fax: +1 (604) 688 5210
Articles and resources
- ↑ Peace River Coal, "Welcome to Peace River Coal", Peace River Coal website, accessed May 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Peace River Coal, "About Us", Peace River Coal website, accessed May 2011.