Pelabuhan Ratu power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Pelabuhan Ratu power station is a 1050-megawatt (MW) coal-fired station in West Java Province, Indonesia.
The image below shows the plant, in Pelabuhan Ratu District, Sukabumi Regency, West Java Province.
Background on Plant
The three-unit, 1050-MW coal-fired Pelabuhan Ratu power station was completed in late 2012 and began commercial operations at the beginning of 2013. The plant is owned by PLN.
In October 2022, PLN gave their support to the government's early retirement program, which was a scheme designed to increase renewable energy's share of the Indonesian grid. Through the program, Pelabuhan Ratu power station's operational lifespan would be shortened to 15 years, giving it a presumed retirement year of 2037.
The Export-Import Bank of China loaned PLN US$481 million for the power station. Bank Mega provided a loan of US$175.59 million to the project. HSBC acted as financial adviser to PLN.
In 2019, a coal barge transporting coal to the Pelabuhan Ratu power station capsized and sank, spilling large amounts of coal into the Palabuhanratu bay. Local fisherman have also claimed that the coal barges have disrupted their fishing and damaged their fishing nets. They also claim that a fisherman was struck and killed by one of the coal barges in 2019.
- Sponsor: PT PLN
- Location: Pelabuhan Ratu District, Sukabumi Regency, West Java Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -7.0242, 106.5464 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross Capacity: 1050 MW (Units 1-3: 350 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 2013
- Coal Type: Subbutiminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: US$481 million in debt from the Export-Import Bank of China; US$175.59 million in debt from Bank Mega
Articles and resources
- ↑ "PLN have announced that construction of a 1,050 MW coal-fired power plant in West Java, PLTU Pelabuhan Ratu, has now been finalised," Salva Report, December 21, 2012
- ↑ "PLN secures Chinese loans for power plants program after Merpati spat solved" Jakarta Post, May 5, 2009.
- ↑ "PLN dan PTBA Kerja Sama Pensiun Dini PLTU Pelabuhan Ratu" PT Bukit Asam Tbk, October 19, 2022.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Aditya Suharmoko, "PLN secures Chinese loans for power plants program after Merpati spat solved," The Jakarta Post, May 05 2009
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "Preview of Pelapuhan Ratu Power Plant | Transaction | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-11-23.
- ↑ Syahdan Alamsyah, Pengelola PLTU Janji Bersihkan Batu Bara di Pantai Cipatuguran , Detik News, May 11, 2019
- ↑ Nelayan Binuangeun Kecewa Terhadap Pemprov Banten, Biem, June 16, 2021
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 "Pelabuhan Ratu Coal Power Plant," Global Energy Observatory, accessed April 2014