Proteus Oil Pipeline

From Global Energy Monitor
This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.

Proteus Oil Pipeline is an operating oil pipeline in the United States.[1] It is part of the Mardi Gras Transportation System.


The pipeline runs from Mississippi Canyon in the Gulf Coast to the Proteus SP 89E Platform in the Gulf Coast. At the SE89# Platform it connects with the Endymion Oil Pipeline, which runs to the the Clovelly Hub in South Louisiana.[2][3]

Loading map...

Project details

  • Operator: Shell plc[1][4]
  • Owner: Proteus Oil Pipeline Company, LLC[5]
  • Parent company: BP plc [65%]; ExxonMobil [35%]; Shell plc [10%]
  • Current capacity: 425,000 barrels per day[6]
  • Length: 71 miles[6]
  • Status: Operating[6]
  • Start year: 2005


Proteus is a 71-mile crude oil pipeline with a 425,000 bpd capacity. The pipeline provides access to the Mississippi Canyon area of the Gulf of Mexico from the Thunder Horse and Thunder Hawk platform to the Proteus SP 89E Platform. Noble Energy’s Big Bend and Dantzler oil fields are tied to the Thunder Hawk platform.[4]

Shell plc became the operator in 2017.[6] BP plc owns 65% in Mardi Gras Transportation System, while ExxonMobil and Shell plc own the remaining 35%.

Shell Midstream Partners, LP owns a 10.0% interest in Proteus, which owns the Proteus pipeline system. Other owners in Proteus are BP Midstream Partners (42.25%) and an affiliate of BP Plc (22.75%) through their joint ownership of Mardi Gras Transportation System Company LLC, and ExxonMobil Pipeline Company (25.00%). SPLC is the operator of Proteus.[5]

On 5 April 2022, BP plc merged with BP Midstream Partners LP.[7]

Articles and resources


  1. 1.0 1.1 Proteus Oil Pipeline, Oil and Gas Journal, accessed September 2017
  2. "Shell offshore pipelines map" (PDF). 2018.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  3. "Geographic Mapping Data in Digital Format". Retrieved 2023-03-13.
  4. 4.0 4.1 "Shell Midstream Partners, L.P. Acquires Interests in Three Gulf of Mexico Pipelines," Nasdaq, Dec 28, 2016
  5. 5.0 5.1 L.P, Shell Midstream Partners (2019-05-24). "Shell Midstream Partners, L.P. Announces Proteus and Endymion Transports First Oil from Shell-operated Appomattox in the Gulf of Mexico". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2022-04-11.
  6. 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 "Mardi Gras Transportation System | Assets | BP Midstream". BP Midstream Partners. Retrieved 2022-04-11.
  7. "bp completes acquisition of BP Midstream Partners LP | Press office | BP Midstream". BP Midstream Partners. Retrieved 2022-04-11.

Related articles

External resources

External articles