Puerto de Coronel
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Chile and coal|
The Puerto de Coronel is a port located in the Bahía de Coronel in Biobío, Chile.
Puerto de Coronel has been operating since 1996, beginning as an export facility for break-bulk forest products. The port handles general cargo, containers, coal, wood, timber, and cellulose though four piers and is part of the Southern Winter Seasonal Zone. The city of Coronel has had a connection to the coal industry since 1875 when coal mines developed in the area and as of 2017 coal moving through the port continued to come from the mines of Coronel and Lota.
The coal jetty at the Port of Coronel includes a mechanized unloading system with a capacity of 2,500 TPH of coal which is able to service Panamax bulk carriers up to 85,000 DWT. The mechanized loading system was built by the PRDW consulting firm and includes: tow fixed 1,500 TPH loaders, mooring dolphins, berthing dolphins, hoppers, support structures, transfer towers, and an access trestle (1,080 meters long). PRDW was also responsible for the study of coastal conditions and wave climate, jetty operational availability, technical support, analysis of terminal layout, and the numerical model of vessel berthing motion.
According to 2020 data from Ember, 1.31 megatonnes of coal was imported via the Port of Coronel the vast majority of which was thermal coal from Puerto Bolivar (Colombia), Newcastle (Australia), Cienaga (Colombia), Norfolk (Virginia, United States), and Santa Marta (Colombia). Since 2017, Puerto Bolivar (Colombia) has been the main source of coal imported through the port of Coronel.
- Operator: Compania Puerto de Coronel SA
- Location: Cousino 49, Coronel, Chile
- Annual Coal Capacity (Tonnes): 3.5 MTPA
- Status: Operating
- Type: Imports
- Coal source: Colombia, Australia, United States
Articles and resources
- "The development of Coronel Container Terminal". Port Technology International. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "Coronel Port". SHIPNEXT. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "Coronel | Chile". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "PRDW". prdw.com (in español). Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "Ember Shipping Dashboard - Ember". Ember. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- SeaRates. "Information and Characteristics about Coronel Port Chile – Searates". SeaRates. Retrieved 2021-08-04.