Puna Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Puna Gas Pipeline is a natural gas pipeline under construction in Argentina.
The Puna Gas Pipeline would start at a junction with the Atacama Gas Pipeline in Río Las Burras, near the intersection of highways RN 52 and RP 38 outside Susques, Jujuy province, Argentina. From here, it would run south and west through San Antonio de los Cobres to Salar de Pocitos, Salta province, Argentina.
- Operator: Gasnor
- Parent Company: Remsa
- Proposed capacity: 9.9 million cubic feet per day
- Length: 116 miles / 186 km
- Status: Construction
- Start Year: 2025
The pipeline was first proposed in 2005 as a continuation of the Gas Atacama Pipeline. This original project would have cost an estimated $67 million pesos and had a capacity of 350 million cubic feet per day. This version of the pipeline was not developed.
In November 2018 Energas convened a meeting of gas distribution companies to promote the development of a pipeline that would fulfill a need for additional gas for Andean mining projects by 2025. This version of the pipeline would run 186 km and carry 280,000 cubic meters (9.9 million cubic feet) per day.  The distribution company Gasnor was named as a potential developer of the project.
As of 2020, demand for new gas pipelines to supply northwestern Argentina's lithium mines and other mining operations remained high. In February 2020, Ricardo Alonso, Salta province's Minister of Mining and Energy, affirmed that increasing mining activity in Argentina's Puna region continues to spur demand for new energy supplies, especially natural gas, and noted that gas for any new pipeline project could be supplied from the Sierras Subandinas and Llanura Chaqueña basin in the departments of San Martín, Orán and Rivadavia.
Construction on the pipeline began with 16,000 meters of pipe being laid from the town of San Antonio de Los Cobres.
Articles and resources
- El Gasoducto de la Puna se vuelve imprescindible, El Tribuno, Nov. 20, 2019
- "Sistemas de Transporte de Gas Natural de la República Argentina" (PDF). Enargas.
- "Gasoductos". Remsa Energía y Minería Salteña. Retrieved August 25, 2020.
- Recursos Energéticos y Mineros Salta S.A. "REMSa SA". Retrieved 2021-06-17.
- "REMSa. S.A." remsa.gob.ar. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- Adjudican la construcción del Gasoducto de la Puna en Salta, Infobae, Jul. 19, 2005
- "El Gobierno analiza construir nuevos gasoductos en la Puna para potenciar la minería". InSalta. February 6, 2020.