Atacama Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Atacama Gas Pipeline, also called Gasoducto Atacama, is an operating natural gas pipeline in Argentina.
The pipeline originates in Colonel Cornejo, Salta province, Argentina, and terminates in Mejillones, Chile.
- Operator: GasAtacama
- Parent Company: CMS Energy, Endesa, Temenos Group, Comercial del Plata Construcciones SA
- Current capacity: 2.6 billion cubic meters per year
- Proposed capacity:
- Length: 585 miles / 941 km
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 1999
Construction of the Gas Atacama pipeline began in 1997, and it was completed in 1999, around the same time as the first unit of Gas Atacama's combined cycle thermal power plant north of Antofagasta, Chile.
The pipeline's Argentine section runs for 530 km, starting in Coronel Cornejo (Salta) and heading 230 km southwest through the Province of Jujuy before turning northwest, passing through the cities of San Salvador de Jujuy and Purmamarca, and crossing the Argentine puna to the Chilean border at Paso de la Jama. From here, the 411-kilometer Chilean section descends northwest towards San Pedro de Atacama, continuing to Calama and eventually reaching its terminus in the industrial zone of Mejillones. From Mejillones, the 226-kilometer Taltal pipeline branches off, continuing southwards through La Negra (Antofagasta) to the natural gas-fired Taital power plant in Paposo.
The pipeline is operated by Gas Atacama, a joint venture of four companies, including major shareholders CMS Energy Corp., Detroit, Chilean power generator Endesa, Temenos Group, Comercial del Plata, and Construcciones SA.
Articles and resources
- "Análisis de la importación de Gas desde Chile". Electrónica, Electricidad y Telecomunicaciones (in español). May 14, 2016.
- "Gas Atacama,", Enel website, accessed March 2018.
- "Gas Atacama Pipeline,", A Barrel Full website, accessed March 2018.
- Argentina-Chile pipeline work gets started, Oil & Gas Journal, Jan. 5, 1998