|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Ravensworth Open Cut coal mine is an open cut mine 25km northwest of Singleton in Hunter Valley of NSW, Australia. It a part of the Ravensworth Coal Complex, which also includes Ravensworth Underground coal mine.
Ravensworth Open Cut is a joint venture between Itochu 10% and Glencore 90%. There are several different pits included in the Ravensworth Open Cut mine, including Narama, Ravensworth West and Ravensworth North.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine near Broke, in the Upper Hunter Valley of New South Wales, Australia.
On its website, Xstrata Coal, a previous owner of the mine, stated that "Coal mining in the Ravensworth area first began in 1972 at the Ravensworth No.2 Open Cut mine to supply coal under contract to Pacific Power (previously known as the Electricity Commission of NSW). Following completion of this initial contract in 1987, a second contract was awarded to mine the Ravensworth South area, which was mined at the rate of 3.9 million tonnes per annum. The resource was exhausted in December 2000, rehabilitated the following year and the land handed back to owners Pacific Power. A further coal contract was secured with Pacific Power in 1990 to provide approximately two million tonnes of thermal coal per annum for 20 years from the Narama area. This lease lies immediately to the south of Ravensworth South and utilises infrastructure at the former Ravensworth South site. This contract for supply was transferred to Macquarie Generation following the NSW Government’s deregulation of electricity generators in 1996."
In 2011, the open cut operations transitioned from domestic operation to a large export producing site. This meant that the Narama and Ravensworth West pits were phased out, and the Ravensworth North pit was phased in. Approval of mining in the Ravensworth North area came to be in 2012. This approval allowed Ravensworth to open cut mine over 16Mtpa of ROM coal and expand the CHPP surface infrastructure and facilities.
- Sponsor: Ravensworth Operations Pty Limited
- Parent Company: Itochu 10% and Glencore 90%
- Location: located in the NSW Hunter Valley, between the towns of Muswellbrook and Singleton.
- GPS Coordinates: -32.4426478, 151.0063967 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 9,056,000 tonnes (in 2018)
- Total Resource: 744 Mt
- Mineable Reserves: 140 Mt
- Coal type: Thermal, Coking
- Mine Size: open cut
- Mine Type:
- Start Year: 1972
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- "Ravensworth Complex Fact Sheet," "Ravensworth Operations," accessed June 2020.
- Xstrata Coal, "Ravensworth West ", Xstrata Coal website, accessed August 2010.
- "Welcome to Ravensworth Operations," "Glencore Ravensworth Operations website," accessed June 2020.
- "Annual Review 2018," "Ravensworth Complex," March 29, 2019.
- "COAL," "Glencore Australia website," accessed June 2020.
- "Resources & Reserves as at 31 December 2019," "Glencore," accessed June 2020.