|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
Macquarie Generation, which is also referred to as MacGen, is owned by AGL Energy. Macquarie Generation owns the 2,640 megawatt (MW) coal-fired Bayswater Power Station and the 2000 MW Liddell Power Station.
Macquarie Generation was established as a government-owned business which was established in 1996. However, in 2014 the utility was privatised by the NSW government.
On its website the company states that its produces "approximately 15% of the electricity needed by people in Eastern Australia from South Australia to Northern Queensland. This is the equivalent of 40% of the electricity needed by the people of New South Wales, making Macquarie Generation Australia's largest electricity generator."
The company has two major coal-fired power stations -- Bayswater and Liddell -- which have a combined generating capacity of 4,640 megawatts (MW).
In a 2014 media release AGL Energy described Macquarie Generation as "the largest producer of electricity in New South Wales" which - aside from its two flagship coal-fired power stations -- owns the "Hunter Valley Gas Turbines (50 MW), Bayswater B and Tomago development sites, Liddell solar farm, extensive coal handling infrastructure comprising rail unloaders and conveyor systems, 110 million tonnes of contracted coal and approximately 3.5 million tonne coal stockpile. MacGen employs approximately 660 people (full time equivalent)."
Current coal-fired power stations
- Bayswater power station was commissioned between 1982 and 1984 and generates 2,640 megawatts from four 660MW generating units. The power station consumes approximately 7.5 million tonnes per year.
- Liddell power station was commissioned between 1971 and 1973 and generates 2,000 megawatts from four 500MW generating units. Water is supplied from Lake Liddell. The power station consumes approximately 5.5 million tonnes of black coal per year.
34 Griffiths Road
Lambton NSW 2299
PO Box 38
Hunter Region MC NSW 2310
Telephone 61 2 4968 7499
Facsimile 61 2 4968 7433
Email info AT macgen.com.au
Articles and Resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 AGL Energy, "AGL given green light on Macquarie Generation", Media Release, June 25, 2014.
- ↑ Macquarie Generation, "Welcome", Macquarie Generation website, accessed May 2011.
- ↑ Macquarie Generation, "Bayswater power station", Macquarie Generation website, accessed May 2011.
- ↑ Macquarie Generation, "Liddell power station", Macquarie Generation website, accessed May 2011.