Rayong Gulf PD power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Rayong Gulf PD power station is a proposed 2,500-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Map Yang Phon, Rayong Province, Thailand. It is also called the Gulf PD Power Plant and the Eastern Economic Corridor Independent Power Project.
The satellite photo below shows the exact location of the proposed power station in the Rojana Pluak Daeng Industrial Estate, Map Yang Phon, Pluak Dieng District, Rayong Province, Thailand.
NS Energy reported that the original plan and amendments was approved in 2019: "The Gulf PD independent power producer (IPP) project is being developed as part of Thailand’s Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) development plan, which envisions the industrial development of 13,285km² of coastal region spanning Thailand’s three eastern provinces including Chonburi, Rayong, and Chachoengsao."
In November 2019, the Asian Development Bank said that the power station would help replace "more than 8,500 MW of generating capacity – equivalent to about 20 per cent of current national energy capacity – of ageing power plants [that] will be retired between 2020 and 2025."
- Sponsor: Gulf PD Co., Ltd.
- Parent company: Gulf Energy Development Public Co Ltd; Mitsui & Co Ltd.
- Location: Map Yang Phon, Pluak Dieng District, Rayong Province, Thailand
- Coordinates: 12.950169, 101.156081 (exact)
- Gross capacity (under construction): 2,500 MW 
- Combined-cycle units 1-4: 625 MW per unit (to start 2023 and 2024)
Articles and Resources
- Annual Report 2019, Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, accessed Feb 9, 2021
- Gulf PD Power Plant, Rayong Province, NS Energy website, accessed Dec 17, 2019
- ADB, Gulf PD sign Bt5.4-bn deal to build power plant in Rayong, The Nation Thailand, Nov 18, 2019
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (Final) Part 3 of 18 October 2019 THA: Eastern Economic Corridor Independent Power Project, Asian Development Bank website, accessed Dec 17, 2019
- Japan's Mitsui to invest in 2.5 GW gas-fired power plant in Thailand, Reuters, Nov 18, 2019
- MHPS Receives Order to Construct 5,300MW Power Plant Project in Thailand Incorporating Eight M701JAC Gas Turbines, MHPS website, Feb 9, 2018
- MHPS ships JAC turbines for CCGT plant in Thailand, Power Engineering, Dec 6, 2019
- "ADB, Gulf PD Sign Deal to Build 2,500 MW Power Plant in Thailand". November 18, 2019.