Reftinskaya GRES power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Reftinskaya GRES power station is a 3,800-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Sverdlovsk province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is near Reftinsky, in Sukhoy Log district, Sverdlovsk province.
Background on Plant
Reftinskaya GRES, the largest thermal power plant in Russia, is a ten-unit, 3,800-MW coal-fired power plant in Sverdlovsk province. Construction on the plant began in 1963; the first six 300-MW units came online in 1970-75, and the remaining four 500-MW units came online in 1977-80. The plant is currently owned by the Fifth Generation Company of the Wholesale Electricity Market (OGK-5), which in turn is majority-owned by Italian energy company Enel.
In April 2016, it was reported that Enel SpA is evaluating the sale of the plant due to the end of the subsidies that apply in the first 10 years for a new unit as well as the weakness of the Russian economy. As of January 2018, Enel had received bids from three companies to purchase the plant. In April 2018, Enel said that it hoped to close a deal to sell the plant by mid-2018.
In August 2016, a complete failure of the coupling capacitator resulted in the plant shutting down entirely, cutting power to large parts of Siberia; there were no injuries.
In September 2018 Enel announced that it was attempting to sell the plant to the Siberian Generating Company (SGK) by the end of 2018. In June 2019 Enel agreed to sell the plant to the Siberian Generating Company (SGK), which is owned by the Siberian Coal Energy Company (SUEK), for 21 billion rubles. In November 2019 the sale was completed with a transfer of ownership to Kuzbassenergo JSC, a subsidiary of Siberian Generating Company LLC, for 16.7 billion rubles. The sale marks the departure of Russia's biggest foreign-owned utilities company from the Russian coal power market.
In December 2020 Unit 1 was selected for the COMMod program for updating energy generation equipment. Unit 1 will be fitted with new boilers and pipes and its capacity will be increased from 300 MW to 315 MW. In June 2021, SGK announced that it planned to invest RUR 9 billion toward modernization efforts at the Reftinskaya GRES power station.
Description of Expansion
The RAO UES 2006-10 five-year plan (from before the restructuring of RAO UES), which RAO management approved in January 2007, lists as a long-term project the addition of a 660-MW eleventh coal-fired unit at Reftinskaya, with a completion date of 2012. Enel OGK-5, in its most recent annual report and on its website, makes no mention of any other projects at Reftinskaya GRES other than the renovation of Units 1-6 and the installation of dry ash removal units. It would appear that this project has been shelved.
- Sponsor: Kuzbassenergo JSC
- Parent company: Siberian Generating Company
- Location: Near Reftinsky, in Sukhoy Log district, Sverdlovsk province, Russia
- Coordinates: 57.11099, 61.70614 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 3,800 MW (Units 1-6: 300 MW; Units 7-10: 500 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- In service: 1970-80
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Coal source: Ekibastuz coal
- Source of financing:
Project Details for Unit 11 Expansion
- Sponsor: Enel
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 660 MW
- Projected in service: N/A
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Ekibastuz coal
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Reftinskaya GRES, Enel OGK-5 website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Reftinskaya GRES Coal CHP Power Plant Russia, Global Energy Observatory, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Рефтинская ГРЭС, Wikipedia (Russian), accessed June 2018.
- Elena Mazneva, "Enel May Sell Its Biggest Power Plant in Russia as Profit Slips," Bloomberg, April 5, 2016.
- Источник: интерес к покупке Рефтинской ГРЭС проявили три компании, TASS, 16 Jan. 2018.
- «Энел Россия» сохраняет планы по продаже Рефтинской ГРЭС в течение нескольких месяцев, Finanz.ru, 26 Apr. 2018.
- «Раздался взрыв, потом — треск и на полнеба — искры», URA.RU, 24 Aug. 2016.
- СГК Мельниченко ведет переговоры о покупке Рефтинской ГРЭС, vedomosti.ru, Sep. 21, 2018
- Рефтинская ГРЭС наконец сменит владельца, Komersant, Jun. 6, 2019
- Fitch подтвердило рейтинги "Энел Россия" на уровне "ВВ+", Investing.com, Dec. 6, 2019
- Renewables Drive Accelerates as Enel Russia Sells its Largest Coal Power Station, The Moscow Times, Oct. 24, 2019
- К 2026 году СГК модернизирует оборудование своих станций по федеральной программе, infopro54.ru, Dec. 9, 2020
- СГК инвестирует около 12 млрд рублей в обновление новосибирской ТЭЦ-3, Kommersant.ru, June 8, 2021
- Investment Program of RAO UES of Russia Thermal Generation Companies for 2006-2010 and Key Power-Generating Equipment Required by OGK/TGK for its Implementation, RAO UES document, Jan. 29, 2007.
- Enel OGK-5 2012 Annual Report, pp. 50-51, accessed Mar. 2014.