Sabarmati power station
Sabarmati power station is a 455-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Ahmedabad, the state of Gujarat, India.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Ahmedabad, the state of Gujarat, India.
The Sabarmati power station became operational in 1934 with a capacity of 37.5 MW; since then, several units have been commissioned (and retired), bringing the total capacity to 455 MW. The plant is named after a nearby river and lies about 4 miles (6km) north of Ahmedabad. While coal is the primary fuel, the plant also uses some fuel oil as a secondary fuel. The plant uses a blend of imported and domestic coal; it is currently operated by large Indian utility company Torrent Power.
In 2016, the plant underwent renovations for emissions control technology, or “efficiency enhancement activities.” It is unclear what these specific improvements were.
In 2019-2020, the Ahmedabad Electricity Company (India) engaged the advisory company K&M to conduct a feasibility study of adding a new 150 MW unit to the Sabarmati power plant. This contract was a follow-up to the previously performed study, where K&M was under a contract with the US Department of Energy to conduct a pre-feasibility study for constructing a nominal coal-fired integrated coal gasification combined cycle (IGCC) plant at the Sabarmati Thermal Power station.
- Sponsor: Torrent Power Ltd
- Parent company: Torrent Power
- Location: Ahmedabad, the state of Gujarat, India
- Coordinates: 23.0706, 72.5939 (exact)
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Coal source:
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 455 MW
- Unit 4: Coal-fired subcritical, 110 MW (start-up in 1979)
- Unit 5: Coal-fired subcritical, 110 MW (start-up in 1985)
- Unit 6: Coal-fired subcritical, 110 MW (start-up in 1988)
- Unit 7: Coal-fired subcritical, 125 MW (start-up in 2003)
- Gross generating capacity (retired): 60 MW
- Unit 15: Coal-fired subcritical, 30 MW (start-up in 1962)
- Unit 16: Coal-fired subcritical, 30 MW (start-up in 1963)
Articles and Resources
- "Sabarmati Thermal Power Station - Wikipedia". en.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 2021-06-22.
- "Sabarmati Thermal Power Station Railway - FIBIwiki". wiki.fibis.org. Retrieved 2021-06-22.
- "Sabarmati Thermal Power Station". www.swapdial.com. Retrieved 2021-06-22.
- "Brief Summary of Project at AMGEN - Sabarmati Thermal Power Station" (PDF). Environmental Clearance. August 11, 2016. Retrieved 2021-06-22.
- "K&M Advisors - Feasibility Study for the Sabamati 130 MW Power Station". KM Advisors. October 22, 2020. Retrieved 2021-06-22.