Salkadamna power station
Salkadamna power station is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Tahoua region, Niger.
The map below shows the location of the city of Tahoua. The project is planned to be built near here, in Salkadamna village.
In 2012, the Government of Niger announced its intention to build a coal mine in Salkadamna in the Tahoua Region after the discovery of a reserve of 92 million tonnes (the area was later estimated to hold coal reserves of around 69 million tonnes). The goal of the project was to build a mine with a production capacity of 1.1 million tonnes per year. The production was intended to supply fuel for a coal-powered plant and to produce coal briquettes for local consumption. The project involved the construction of a coal-mining complex on 30 square kilometers of land with the construction of a 600MW coal-fired power plant, a 500km high-power line, and a coal-fired briquette plant. US-based Source California Services Inc. (SCS) has been appointed as the developer and China-based Huawei International Power Engineering as the technical consultant.
The project would be at Salkadamna in the Tahoua region of Niger, about 900 km (600 miles) northeast of the capital Niamey. In April 2015 sponsor SCS said it had completed financing for the US$1.2 billion open-cast coal and power project, and that work could begin, although the timeline remains unclear. Niger president Mahamadou Issoufou visited the site in mid‑2014 for the laying of the first stone but it appears actual works did not begin then. It is also unclear who the financial backers are, according to reports.
In May 2016 it was reported that officials in Niamey were fed up with delays on the project by Sources California Energy, and were exploring a partnership with China’s Eximbank.
As of June 2020 there have been no developments on the project, and plans appear cancelled.
- Sponsor: Sources California Energy
- Parent company:
- Location: Salkadamna village, near the city of Tahoua in Tahoua region, Niger
- Coordinates: 14.883333, 5.266667 (approximate)
- Status: cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 600 MW
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: mine mouth coal mine in Tahoua region, Niger
- Mine Type: surface, open cast
- Mine Production: 1.1 million tonnes per annum
- Mineable Reserve: 69 million tonnes.
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "US firm completes financing for coal and power project in Niger," Reuters, April 14, 2015
- "- Coal reserves in Salkadamna, Tahoua". Archived from the original on 2014-03-17. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "Project Details: GoN – Salkadamna Coal-Mining Complex – Niger," Construction IC, accessed Sep 2017
- "Financing for large power plant project complete," The Economist, Apr 23, 2015
- "China’s Eximbank back in play over Salkadamna power station," Africa Intelligence, May 10, 2016