Salkadamna coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Salkadamna coal mine is a proposed 1.1 million tonne per annum mine, managed by the Niger Government, in Tahoua region, Niger.
The mine would supply the proposed Salkadamna power station (200 to 600 MW) coal-fired power station in Tahoua region, Niger.
The map below shows the location of the city of Tahoua. The mine is planned to be built near here, in Salkadamna village.
In 2012, the Government of Niger announced its intention to build a coal mine in Salkadamna in the Tahoua Region after the discovery of a reserve of 92 million tonnes (the area was later estimated to hold coal reserves of around 69 million tonnes). The goal of the project was to build a mine with a production capacity of 1.1 million tonnes per year. The production was intended to supply fuel for a coal-powered plant and to produce coal briquettes for local consumption. The project involved the construction of a coal-mining complex on 30 square kilometers of land with the construction of a 600MW coal-fired power plant, a 500km high-power line, and a coal-fired briquette plant. US-based Source California Services Inc. (SCS) has been appointed as the developer and China-based Huawei International Power Engineering as the technical consultant.
As of 2020, few details had been released on the project, but in October 2019, Nigerian MPs expressed continued interest in exploiting the reserves in the near future.
- Sponsor: Government of Niger
- Parent company:
- Location: Salkadamna village, near the city of Tahoua in Tahoua region, Niger
- Coordinates: 14.883333, 5.266667 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Start date: 2023
- Coal Type: lignite
- Mine Type: surface, open cast
- Mine Production: 1.1 million tonnes per annum
- Mineable Reserve: 69 million tonnes
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- The Construction of a Coal Plant in Salkadamna, A Resurgent Niger for A Prosperous Population: Renaissance Conference, December 13-14, Paris.
- "US firm completes financing for coal and power project in Niger," Reuters, April 14, 2015
- "- Coal reserves in Salkadamna, Tahoua". Archived from the original on 2014-03-17. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "Project Details: GoN – Salkadamna Coal-Mining Complex – Niger," Construction IC, accessed Sep 2017
- Nigerien MPs say Salkadamna coal must be exploited to increase the country’s energy supply, Energy Mix Report, October 6, 2019.