Sichuan–Shanghai Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Sichuan-Shanghai Gas Pipeline is an operating natural gas pipeline.
The pipeline runs from Pugang gas field in Dazhou, Sichuan Province, to Qingpu District of Shanghai. In its initial proposal, there was one major branch that connects Yichang in Hubei with Puyang in Henan Province and 3 other branches. But when the pipeline finally went operation in 2010, the major branch reaching Puyang was not included.
- Operator: Sinopec
- Parent Company: Sinopec 50%; China Life Insurance Co. 43.86%; State Development & Investment Corp. 6.14%
- Current Capacity: 15 billion cubic meters per year
- Proposed Capacity:
- Length: 1,058 miles / 1,702 kilometers
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2010
The pipeline is operated by Sinopec and was wholly owned by Sinopec until 2016, when it sold 43.86% to China Life Insurance Co. for 20 billion yuan (US$2.9 billion) and 6.14% to State Development & Investment Corp for 2.8 billion yuan (US$400 million). “There is a shortage of pipeline capacity and gas storage facilities in China, so the government is encouraging more investment in those sectors,” Tian Miao, a Beijing-based analyst at North Square Blue Oak Ltd.
Construction of the first 1360-km (845-mi) section of the pipeline, from Yichang in Hubei Province to Shanghai, started on 22 May 2007 and was completed in March 2010. The tunnel to cross Yangtze River was completed in October 2007. The tunnel is about 20m beneath the riverbed and connects two wells on each side of the river.
At around 6:30pm on July 20, 2016, the "Sichuan-Shanghai Gas Pipeline" exploded and burned in Shuitianba Village and Gonglongba Village, Cuijiaba Town, Enshi City, Hubei Province. The torrential rain caused landslide, ruptured the Gas Pipeline, resulting in deflagration and mushroom cloud formation. Two people were killed and three were injured. 
Articles and resources
- Sichuan-Shanghai Gas Pipeline, Wikipedia, accessed March 2018
- 川气东送获核准 年最大输气超150亿立方 四川新闻网, April 12, 2007
- 川气东送 Sinopec Official website
- 川气东送管道累计输气量突破1000亿方 中国石化新闻网, April 30, 2020
- Sinopec Sells $3.3 Billion Stake in Natural Gas Pipelines, Bloomberg News, Dec. 12, 2016
- "Sinopec starts up Sichuan-East China gas project". Reuters. 2010-03-29. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- "Sichuan-Shanghai gas tunnel completed". Chengou Time. 2007-10-31. Retrieved 2008-04-20.
- 川气东输天然气管道恩施段发生爆燃 火光冲天 Xinhua News, July 21 2016
Related GEM.wiki articles
Wikipedia also has an article on Sichuan-Shanghai Gas Pipeline (Sichuan-Shanghai Gas Pipeline). This article may use content from the Wikipedia article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License].