Sulut-3 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Sulut-3 power station, also known as Minahasa Kema, is a 100-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant proposed in North Sulawesi Province, Indonesia.
Satellite photos from Google do not yet show the plant under construction, but Planet satellite photos show construction progress from December 2018 to May 2019 at the plant site in Kema village, Kema, North Sulawesi, Indonesia.
Background on Plant
In April 2017, it was reported that PT Minahasa Cahaya Lestari (MCL) is planning to build the plant. MCL is a joint venture of PT Toba Bara Sejahtra Tbk (90%) and China's Sinohydro (10%). MCL has signed a power purchase agreement (PPA) with PLN. MCL plans to spend US$215 million or Rp2.79 trillion to develop the power plant as well as a 7-km transmission line. It is planned for Kema I village in Kema district.
In August 2018, a representative of PT Toba Bara Sejahtra said the company was trying to achieve financial close of the project by the end of 2018. In December 2018, the sponsor obtained a US$168 million loan from Bank Mandiri and Sarana Multi Infrastructure (SMI) to develop the project, and construction had begun as of February 2019.
- Sponsor: PT Minahasa Cahaya Lestari (MCL)
- Parent company: PT Toba Bara Sejahtra Tbk (90%), Sinohydro (10%)
- Location: Kema village, Kema district, North Sulawesi Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: 1.3740748,125.083845 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 100 MW (2 x 50 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date: 2021
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: US$68 million in debt from Bank Mandiri and Sarana Multi Infrastructure (SMI)
Articles and resources
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2017-2026, PT PLN Persero, p. D-6
- "PLN relaunches pre-qualification process for Sulut-3 coal fired steam power plant," Rambu Energy, September 18, 2015
- "Minahasa Cahaya Lestari to build 100 MW power plant in North Minahasa," Rambu Energy, April 20, 2017
- TOBA Targetkan Pendanaan PLTU Sulut III Tahun Ini, Tribun Manado, Aug. 15, 2018
- AP: Indonesia – Loan secured for Sulut 3 CFPP, Project Finance International, Feb. 21, 2019,
- "TOBA BARA SEJAHTRA SECURED FINANCING FOR SULUT-3 COAL FIRED POWER PROJECT" (PDF). toba bara. February 1, 2019.