Syferfontein coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Syferfontein coal mine operated by Sasol Mining, produces 10.1 million tonnes per annum, near Trichardt, in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
The map below shows the exact location of the Syferfontein coal mine.
The Syferfontein Colliery was established in 1989 to supply coal to the Sasol Synthetic Fuels (SSF) Plant in Secunda. Between 1991 and 2000, coal was mined from the Highveld Coalfield with the opencast strip mining method, and underground mining commenced in 1993. Though Syferfontein was originally an open pit strip mine, the original strip mine has been decommissioned and partially backfilled and rehabilitated, and most mining occurs underground. Sasol Mining describes Syferfontein as an underground mine.
However, recent articles have labeled Syferfontein mine as an opencast coal mine, writing that the "far smaller Tweedraai project will replace part of the Syferfontein mine, an opencast operation." A 2018 article wrote that the Syferfontein opencast operation has in part been replaced by the Tweedraai 2.5-million-ton-a-year project.
But Sasol's 20-F Securities and Exchange Commission filings show that the Syferfontein coal mine produced 10.1 Mtpa of coal in 2019. 
- Parent Company: Sasol Mining
- Location: Near Trichardt, Municipality of Govan Mbeki, District of Gert Sibande, in Mpumalanga Province.
- GPS Coordinates: -26.4097539, 29.2010596 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 10.1 Mtpa (in 2019)
- Total Resource: 866 Mt
- Mineable Reserves: 265 Mt
- Coal type: Thermal, bituminous
- Mine Size:
- Mine Depth: 90 m
- Mine Type: Underground, opencast
- Start Year: 1989
- Source of Financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Sasol Syferfontein Infrastructure Development Plan," "South African Heritage Resources Agency," accessed August 2020.
- "OPERATIONS / LOCATIONS," "Sasol website," accessed August 2020.
- "Sasol Mining’s coal-to-liquids horizon extending to 2050," "Creamer Media's Mining Weekly," October 25, 2013.
- "Last of four mines to be completed," "Creamer Media's Mining Weekly," October 26, 2018.
- "FORM 20-F," "United States Securities and Exchange Commission," October 28, 2019.
- "OPERATING AND DEVELOPING COAL MINES IN THE REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA, 2014," "Department of Mineral Resources of Republic of South Africa," 2014.