TYASA steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Ixtaczoquitlán, Veracruz, Mexico.
Based in the Mexican state of Veracruz, TYASA (Talleres y Aceros) is a Mexican company specializing in the production of wire rods and other long steel products. The company was founded in 1980, bringing its first rolling mill online in 1985 and launching steel-making operations in 1993 with the installation of a 45-ton electric arc furnace. In 2004 the TYASA plant increased its annual steel-making capacity to 450,000 tons. in 2014, it added another 1.2 million tons of capacity, becoming the first steel plant in the world to install Siemens' new Simetal EAF Quantum, a state-of-the-art electric arc furnace designed to cut CO2 emissions by up to 30%.
- Private/State ownership: private
- Parent company: TA 2000 S.A. de C.V.
- Owner: TA 2000 S.A. de C.V.
- Alternative plant names: Talleres y Aceros
- Other language plant name: Siderúrgica TYASA (Spanish)
- Location: Carretera Federal México-Veracruz Km. 321, s/n, interior 2, Ixtaczoquitlán, Veracruz 94450, Mexico
- GPS Coordinates: 18.869272, -97.047263 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1993 (age 27–28)
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 1000 (EAF, 2019) (estimate based on Veracruz state's total production of 1.75 million tons in 2019)
- Steel product category: long, flat, specialty
- Steel products: billet, rod, wire rod, bars, rebar, mesh, annealed wire, profiles, rolled steel sheets
- Steel sector end users: construction
- Steelmaking process: electric
- Primary steel production equipment: 2 electric arc furnaces (EAF): Danieli (1993), Primetals (2013)
Articles and resources
- "TYASA Siderúrgica". TYASA. Retrieved 2020-09-07.
- "Linea de tiempo". TYASA. Retrieved 2020-09-07.
- "Mexican steelmaker the first to employ Siemens' new Simetal EAF Quantum". TYASA. February 10, 2012.
- "Arranca operaciones nueva planta de TYASA". TYASA. May 22, 2014.
- "New Siemens electric arc furnace for steel-making cuts CO2 emissions by up to 30%; Tyasa incorporating first unit in new mill". Green Car Congress. April 1, 2012.
- "TA 2000 SA de CV - Company Profile and News". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2020-09-07.
- "Contacto". TYASA. Retrieved 2020-09-07.
- "Quiénes Somos". TYASA. Retrieved 2020-09-07.
- "Carbon and Certain Alloy Steel Wire Rod from Brazil, Indonesia, Mexico, Moldova, and Trinidad and Tobago" (PDF). US International Trade Commission. August 2020.
- "El Acero en México: Producción de Acero por Estados, 2019". Canacero. Retrieved 2020-09-09.
- "Productos". TYASA. Retrieved 2020-09-07.
- "2020 AIST Electric Arc Furnace Roundup". AIST (Association for Iron & Steel Technology). Retrieved 2020-09-17.