Theunissen coal project
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of South Africa|
The Theunissen coal field is currently being explored for Underground Coal Gasification (UCG) by Africary.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project.
The Theunissen coal project was listed as a possible South African coal project in BHP Billiton's 2009 Annual Report. The company listed it as a possible underground mine producing thermal coal. It listed it as having a total resource of 933 million tonnes. In 2011, BHP announced it was selling off Theunissen prospecting rights and had completed divestment of Theunissen in January 2013.
BHP Billiton Energy Coal South Africa is BHP Billiton's wholly owned subsidiary which develops coal projects in South Africa.
- Owner: Africary (Africary Holdings (Pty) Ltd)
- Parent company: African Carbon Energy
- Location: Free State province
- GPS coordinates:
- Mine status:
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves:
- Coal type:
- Mine size:
- Mine type:
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- The Theunissen 50 MW Project, Africary website, accessed Oct. 2019
- 2009 BHP Billiton Annual Report, September 2009, page 90.
- BHP to divest some S.African coal prospecting rights, Reuters, 1 Feb. 2011.
- BHP Billiton Annual Report 2013, BHP Billiton website, 25 Sept. 2013.
- Introduction and Update to:Africary’s Theunissen UCG Project, Africary Website, 18 Mar. 2014
- Introduction to Africary’s Theunissen 50 MW –IPP Project and 2,000 bbl/day –CtL Project, Global Syngas website, 17 Oct. 2017.