Tokisud North coal mine
Tokisud North coal mine is a proposed 2.32 million ton-per-annum (MTPA) coal mine in Jharkhand state, India.
The map below shows the location of the mine's site, near Tokisud village, Hazaribagh district, Jharkhand state. The mine will be on a previously unmined part of the much larger South Karanpura coalfield.
Background on Mine
Rights to the previously unmined 2.3 million ton-per-annum Tokisud North coal block were sold to Essar Power (a subsidiary of the Essar Group) in March 2015. Essar will use the coal to power its new 1,200-MW Mahan Super Thermal Power Project in Madhya Pradesh, which has been idling due to a lack of coal for 18 months. The mine will be open-pit, and Essar will contract with the AMR Group for mining services. Essar plans to begin mining within 2015.
Rights to the Tokisud North coal block had been previously owned by GVK Coal (Tokisud) Company, a subsidiary of GVK, which previously won a bid for this coal block in order to supply the Goindwal Sahib Thermal Power Plant; however, GVK apparently did not take advantage of the coal block, and the block was reauctioned in 2015.
The project involves the relocation of the villages of Devgarh, Urej and Ango, consisting of 1,207 people in total; it is unclear whether this relocation has already been conducted.
As of December 2019, the Tokisud mine is owned by National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) which plans to make it operations in 2020.
- Sponsor: National Mineral Developement Corporation
- Parent company: National Mineral Developement Corporation
- Location: Tokisud village, Hazaribagh district, Jharkhand state, India
- Coordinates: 23.701, 85.231 (exact)
- Status: Proposed
- Capacity: 2.32 MTPA
- Reserves: 52 MT
- In service: 2015 (operations to be restarted in 2020)
- Permits: Transfer of EC to from GVK to Essar, MoEF&CC India, 13 May, 2015
- Coal type: Thermal
- Mining method: Surface
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Essar Power MP Ltd. Completes Acquisition of Tokisud North Coal Block, Essar Group press release, 24 Mar. 2015.
- Tokisud North Coal Mine, Green Clearance Watch, accessed May 2015.
- Amit Gupta, Ramgarh coal for Essar's MP plant, The Telegraph, 24 Mar. 2015.
- Tokisud North Mine, MSTC website, accessed May 2015.
- GVK, "Request for qualification notice", GVK Coal (Tokisud) Company Private Limited, June 2011.
- GVK, "Investors", GVK website, accessed January 2012.
- NMDC aims to make Rohne, Tokisud coal mines operational by next one year, Economic Times,December 26, 2019
- Tokisud North Coal Mine, MSTCECommerce], accessed May 2020