Tongling Guodian power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Tongling Guodian power station (国电铜陵发电公司) is a 1,200-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Anhui Province, China.
The photo below (December 2016) shows the plant in Tongling Prefecture, Anhui Province. As shown in the photo, there is no evidence of construction beyond the first two units of the plant. This indicates that although some sources have reported that a second phase of 2,000 MW has been completed, that phase actually remained in the planning stage as of December 2016.
Background on Plant
Description of Expansion
According to "Power Plants Around the World" and Platts, Guodian recently built Tongling Guodian-2, consisting of two additional coal-fired units, with a total capacity of 2,000 MW. These sources report that the new units were completed in 2011. But Chinese sources report the second phase remains in the planning stage. And satellite photography from late 2013 confirms that the second phase has not been built.
2016: Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
Due to new restrictions announced during 2016 by the National Energy Administration and the National Development and Reform Commission, further capacity expansions at this location appear to be on hold or cancelled. For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
On August 28, 2017, China's State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council (SASAC) announced that China Guodian Corporation and Shenhua Group will be jointly restructured. Shenhua Group will become China National Energy Investment Group and will absorb China Guodian Corporation. It will be the largest power company in the world by installed capacity, as well as the world's largest coal producer. The merger was completed on November 28, 2017.
Project Details for Phase II Expansion
- Sponsor: Guoneng Tongling Power Gneration Co, Ltd 国能铜陵发电有限公司
- Owner: Guodian Anhui Power Co., Ltd. 50.9998%; Anhui Province Energy Group Co., Ltd. 25.0005%; Huainan Mining (Group) Co., Ltd. 23.9997%
- Parent company: China Guodian (now National Energy Investment Group)
- Location: Huanggongmiao Village, Donglianxiang Township, Tongling County, Tongling Prefecture, Anhui Province, China
- Coordinates: 31.0705, 117.9632 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 2,000 MW (Units 1 & 2: 1,000 MW)
- Type: Ultra-Supercritical
- In service: 2011
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Google Earth, photo dated December, 2016
- "国电铜陵发电厂一期工程建成并投入商业运行 - 北极星火力发电网". news.bjx.com.cn. 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2021-04-23.
- "Coal-Fired Plants in Anhui," Power Plants Around the World, accessed September 2014
- "Anhui Guodian Tonglin Power Plant China," Global Energy Observatory, accessed September 2014
- "公司全力推进二期项目," Guodian Tongling Power Gen website, accessed 2014-06-23
- "Factbox: Shenhua and Guodian - China's latest state marriage". Reuters. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "China Is Creating the World's Largest Power Company". Bloomberg News. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "China’s Newly-Established National Energy Investment Group Sets World Records in Its Sector, With Assets of Over CNY1.8 Trillion," Yicai Global, 11-28-2017