Trypilska power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Ukraine and coal.|
Trypilska power station (Трипільська ТЭС, Трипольская ТЭС) is an 1,825-megawatt (MW) (1,200 MW coal-fired, 600 MW gas-fired) power plant in Kyiv oblast, Ukraine.
The map below shows the location of the plant in Ukrainka, Obukhiv, Kyiv oblast, Ukraine.
Background on Plant
Trypilska power station is a six-unit power plant with a total capacity of 1,800 MW. Units 1-4 burn coal for fuel. The plant was completed between 1969 and 1972, and is owned by Energy Company of Ukraine.
The main fuel for the plant has been Donetsk anthracite coal supplied via railway. The backup "backlighting" fuel is gas and fuel-oil.
In late 2021, due to unavailability of coal supplies, the Trypsilska power station was forced to run exclusively on natural gas. In addition, in April 2021, the power station announced plans to convert Unit 1 to run on grade G and DG coal, which was mined in Ukraine, rather than anthracite coal, which was mined in the occupied region of Ukraine.
War in Ukraine
In February 2022, there was an explosion at the power station. It was caused by a missile that hit a coal warehouse. The equipment and facilities of the station were not damaged. According to the press service of Ukrenergo, in February 2022 the power plant was still operating, a high-voltage power line was damaged next to it, but the transmission of electricity continued. In March 2022, it was reported that there was continued shelling of the station by Russian troops, the extent of the damage or operating status at this point was not clear.
- Sponsor: Centrenergo
- Parent company: Energy Company of Ukraine
- Location: Ukrainka, Obukhiv, Kyiv Oblast, Ukraine
- Coordinates: 50.133377, 30.74667 (exact)
- Gross capacity (operating): 1,800 MW
- Unit 1: 300 MW (coal-fired)
- Unit 2: 325 MW (coal-fired)
- Units 3-4: 300 MW (coal-fired)
- Unit 5: Natural gas and fuel oil-fired steam turbine with CHP, 300 MW (start-up in 1971)
- Unit 6: Natural gas and fuel oil-fired steam turbine with CHP, 300 MW (start-up in 1972)
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1969-1972
- Coal type: Anthracite
- Coal source: Domestic
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Trypilska TPP," Centrenergo, accessed April 2016
- "Trypilska Thermal Power Plant Ukraine," GEO, accessed April 2016
- Information Collection and Verification Survey for Ukraine Energy Sector, Japan International Cooperation Agency - JICA, May 2016
- ГЕНЕРУЮЧІ ПОТУЖНОСТІ, Центренерго (Centreenergo), accessed Apr 27, 2021
- Implementation of clean coal technologies at Thermal Power Plants of PJSC "Centrenergo": Possible areas of international co-operation, Institute of Coal Energy Technologies of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, accessed Apr 27, 2021
- Трипільська ТЕС замінила вугілля газом, FBC, October 2021
- Трипільська ТЕС за 39 мільйонів переведе блок з антрациту від терористів на українське вугілля, Our Money, Apr. 15, 2021
- "На Трипольской ТЭС произошел взрыв, оккупанты захватили Каховскую ГЭС – Минэнерго". Liga.Biznes. Feb 24, 2022. Retrieved May 10, 2022.
- "«Из-за обстрелов мы потеряли Луганскую ТЭЦ, Ахтырская — полностью разбита» — Герман Галущенко". Mind.ua. March 28, 2022. Retrieved May 10, 2022.
- Трипільська ТЕС, Центренерго (Centreenergo), accessed Apr 27, 2021