Ulaan Ovoo mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Ulaan Ovoo Coal Mine is an operating surface coal mine in X, Mongolia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the exact location of the mine site, near Tüshig, in Tüshig District, Selenge Province, Mongolia. The mine is 17 km from the Russian border.
According to the website of mine owner Prophecy Coal, "Exploration drilling work was performed on the deposit during the late 1970s by the Mongolian Ministry of Geology and Energy and again from 1993-1997 by Erdenet, a Mongolian-Russian joint venture mining and processing company."
In 2006, Red Hill (predecessor to Prophecy) estimated the mine area had 174 million tonnes of measured resources, 34 million tonnes of indicated category, and 36 million tonnes of inferred. Production began in 2010. The coal is trucked 120km to to the Sukhbaatar rail siding, which is then is transported by rail to Russian and Mongolian customers.
Prophecy produced approximately 500,000 tons of coal between 2012 and 2014 from the mine before putting the mine on standby. The company made deliveries from the mine between 2016 and 2017 to select customers. An undisclosed lessee company entered a lease agreement with Prophecy in October 2018 to operate the mine, which is valid for three years. Mining activity was resumed at the site in March 2019, following the signing of the agreement.
The mine was owned by Mongolia Mid Asia International (MMAI) until 2005, followed by Red Hill until 2010. Prophecy Development Corporation assumed 100% ownership of the project in 2010.
- Owner: Silver Elephant Mining Corp.
- Parent company:
- Location: Tüshig, Tüshig District, Selenge Province, Mongolia
- GPS coordinates: 50.317778, 104.973611 (exact)
- Mine status: Operating
- Production: Unclear (less than 1 MTPA)
- Mineable reserves: 174 MT
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Mine size: 790 hectares
- Mine type: Surface
- Start year: 2010
- Life of Mine: 18 years
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- Угольное месторождение Улаан-Овоо, Wikimapia, accessed Apr. 2021.
- Prophecy Coal Corp., "Ulaan Ovoo (Coal Mongolia)", Prophecy Coal website, accessed September 2020
- "Strategy on strategic mineral missing," Mongolia Mining Journal, 2012-09-27
- "Ulaan Ovoo Coal Project," Mining Technology, accessed Sep 2020
- Silver Elephant Mining Corp.: Name Change Complete from Prophecy. "ELEF" Commences Trading on TSX on March 19, 2020, Yahoo! Finance, 18 Mar. 2020.
- Silver Elephant Mining Corp. website, accessed Apr. 2021.
Related GEM.wiki articles
"Ulaan Ovoo (Coal Mongolia)", Prophecy Resource Corporation website, accessed August 2014.