UtahAmerican Energy, Inc. (formerly Andalex Resources), is a bituminous underground coal mining and lignite surface mining company, headquartered in Sandy, Utah. UtahAmerican is a subsidiary of Cleveland, Ohio based Murray Energy Corporation. UtahAmerican is a company with approximately $65.1 million in annual sales and was started in 1996.
The company operated the Crandall Canyon Mine, an underground, bituminous coal mine in northwestern Emery County, Utah, about 15 miles (24 km) west north-west of Huntington, Utah. On Monday, August 6, 2007, at 2:48 A.M., the mine collapsed, trapping 6 workers inside. The workers were approximately 3.4 miles (5.5 km) from the mine entrance and 1500 feet (457 m) underground. The collapse registered recorded seismic waves in magnitude 3.9 to 4.0, by seismograph stations of the University of Utah.
On March 20, 2008, the company was fined $420,300 by Federal authorities for "flagrant violations" leading to fire and explosion hazards at the Aberdeen Mine in Price, Utah.
Mines operated by UtahAmerican and managed by Genwal Resources Inc.:
- Aberdeen Mine (produced in excess of 1.8 million mt (2.0 million st) of coal in 2006)
- Centennial mine
- Crandall Canyon Mine
- Horse Canyon mine
- Pinnacle Mine (produced in excess of 1.8 million mt (2.0 million st) of coal in 2006)
- Smokey Hollow mine
- West Ridge Mine
- Wildcat Loadout mine
Articles and Resources
- ↑ "Utah American Energy, Inc." ZipperPages.com, November 2009
- ↑ "6 miners trapped in Utah coal mine collapse" CNN.com, August 6, 2007
- ↑ ""Coal company fined $420K for 'flagrant' violations" CNN.com, March 20, 2008
Related GEM.wiki articles
Wikipedia also has an article on UtahAmerican Energy. This article may use content from the Wikipedia article under the terms of the GFDL.