Welstand coal project
The Welstand coal project is a proposed coal mine near Kriel, in Mpumalanga, South Africa. The mine was previously known as TNC.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project.
The Welstand coal project, operated by Mbuyelo Coal and owned by IchorCoal, has been proposed since at least 2015. Mining was initially planned to begin in 2017.
According to Mbuyelo's website, the mining right for Welstand has been executed, and the mining operation will initially be opencast, with possible future expansion into underground mining operations. Additionally, resource tonnes at the Welstand site are estimated at 65,319,930 romt.
- Sponsor: Mbuyelo Coal
- Parent Company: IchorCoal
- Location: near Kriel, Emalahleni municipality, Nkangala district, Mpumalanga province.
- GPS Coordinates:
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 3 Mtpa (in 2015)
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 89 Mt
- Coal type: Thermal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Opencast, underground
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- "CoAL shirks legal green obligations with big promises" Business Report, August 24 2011