Zimpande coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Zimpande coal project is a proposed coal project near Newcastle in South Africa’s KwaZulu-Natal province.
The map below shows the exact location of the Zimpande coal project.
The Zimpande coal project, previously known as the Braakfontein or the Leeuw Braakfontein coal project, has been a proposed coal mine since at least 2011. It started out under the ownership of Keaton Energy Holdings, which was subsequently bought by Wescoal in 2017.
In 2013, Keaton planned to increase output to about 5 Mt/yr by 2017 by developing the Braakfontein project, which was expected to produce 1.1 Mt/yr. In 2015, Keaton reported that the Braakfontein project was on hold because of low coal prices.
In 2018, multiple articles reported that Sitatunga Resources bought Braakfontein coal project, and renamed it Zimpande coal project.  However, a 2019 article reported that "A third transaction also turned negative for Wescoal when it cancelled the sale of its non-core asset, the Leeuw Braakfontein Colliery. The potential buyer of Leeuw Braakfontein Colliery failed to fulfil certain regulatory approvals." 
The project appears to be shelved.
- Parent Company: Wescoal
- Location: Near Newcastle, in Amajuba district, KwaZulu-Natal Province.
- GPS coordinates: -27.7138429, 29.9927995 (exact)
- Mine status: Shelved
- Production Capacity: 1.6 Mtpa
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 0 Mt
- Coal type: Thermal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: open cast, underground
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- "2011 Minerals Yearbook: South Africa," "USGS," 2011.
- "2013 Minerals Yearbook: South Africa," "USGS," 2013.
- "2015 Minerals Yearbook: South Africa," "USGS," 2015.
- "Sitatunga diversifies into manganese in deal with Southern Ambition," "Mining Mx," September 19, 2018.
- "Wescoal offloads Leeuw Braakfontein," "Ince Connect," August 8, 2018.
- "Wescoal coal output wobbles in first half marked by corporate M&A failures," "Mining MX," November 11, 2019.
- "Wescoal disposes of Leeuw Braakfontein Colliery," "Mining Review Africa," August 8, 2018.