ArcelorMittal Juiz de Fora steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
ArcelorMittal Juiz de Fora steel plant (Usina siderúrgica ArcelorMittal Juiz de Fora) is an electric steel plant in Juiz de Fora, Minas Gerais state, Brazil.
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil.
Construction of the Mendes Júnior steel plant in Juiz de Fora began in 1980, with commercial operations starting in 1984. The plant was originally developed by the Brazilian engineering and construction company Grupo Mendes Júnior, and subsequently operated by the Belgian-Brazilian steelmaker Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo-Mineira under a lease agreement signed in 1995. Between 2001 and 2006, the plant was incorporated into the multinational ArcelorMittal steel company. It now operates as part of ArcelorMittal Aços Longos, the Brazilian long steel division of ArcelorMittal.
The plant employs an electric arc furnace, using scrap metal and pig iron as the primary inputs. It supplies bars and wire rods for civil construction, agribusiness, and other industrial clients.
- Private/State ownership: Private
- Parent company: ArcelorMittal
- Owner: ArcelorMittal Brasil S.A. 
- Alternative plant names: Usina Siderúrgica Mendes Júnior, Usina SMJ
- Other language plant name: Usina siderúrgica ArcelorMittal Juiz de Fora (Portuguese)
- Location: BR-040, Km 769, Juiz de Fora, MG
- GPS Coordinates: -21.626963, -43.462361 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1984 (age 35–36)
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 2000 (EAF)
- Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 1700 (EAF, 2019)
- Steel product category: long
- Steel products: bar, wire rod
- Steel sector end users: civil construction, industry, agribusiness
- Steelmaking process: electric
- Primary steel production equipment: electric arc furnace
Articles and resources
- Suzana Quinet de Andrade Bastos, Lourival Batista de Oliveira Júnior, Rogério Silva de Mattos (2008). "IMPLANTAÇÃO DA SIDERÚRGICA MENDES JÚNIOR EM JUIZ DE FORA (MG)" (PDF).CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "ArcelorMittal Aços Longos". Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "BNamericas - Belgo's Juiz de Fora plant cuts June output". BNamericas. June 16, 2003.
- "Quem somos | ArcelorMittal". ArcelorMittal Brasil. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Unidades | ArcelorMittal". ArcelorMittal Brasil (in português). Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "JF 165 anos - A essência da cidade em transformação". Câmara Municipal de Juiz de Fora. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Fact Book 2019" (PDF). ArcelorMittal. January 2020.
This page uses material from the Wikipedia page [wikipedia.org/Page_Title Page Title] under the provisions of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.