ArcelorMittal Juiz de Fora steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil.
Construction of the Mendes Júnior steel plant in Juiz de Fora began in 1980, with commercial operations starting in 1984. The plant was originally developed by the Brazilian engineering and construction company Grupo Mendes Júnior, and subsequently operated by the Belgian-Brazilian steelmaker Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo-Mineira under a lease agreement signed in 1995. Between 2001 and 2006, the plant was incorporated into the multinational ArcelorMittal steel company.
The Juiz de Fora plant operates as part of ArcelorMittal Brasil's Aços Longos (long steel) division, together with the ArcelorMittal Monlevade steel plant and the ArcelorMittal Piracicaba steel plant. The plant employs two blast furnaces for pig iron production, along with an electric arc furnace, using scrap metal and pig iron as the primary inputs. It supplies bars and wire rods for civil construction, agribusiness, and other industrial clients.
- Private/State ownership: private
- Parent company: ArcelorMittal
- Owner: ArcelorMittal Brasil S.A. 
- Alternative plant names: ArcelorMittal Aços Longos, Usina Siderúrgica Mendes Júnior, Usina SMJ
- Other language plant name: Usina siderúrgica ArcelorMittal Juiz de Fora (Portuguese)
- Location: BR-040, Km 769, Juiz de Fora, Mina Gerais, Brazil
- GPS Coordinates: -21.626963, -43.462361 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1984 (age 35–36)
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 1700 (EAF, 2019)
- Steel product category: long
- Steel products: bar, wire rod
- Steel sector end users: civil construction, industry, agribusiness
- Steelmaking process: integrated, electric
- Primary steel production equipment: 2 blast furnaces (BF) (2008); electric arc furnace (EAF) (1984)
Articles and resources
- "Fact Book 2019" (PDF). ArcelorMittal. January 2020.
- Suzana Quinet de Andrade Bastos, Lourival Batista de Oliveira Júnior, Rogério Silva de Mattos (2008). "IMPLANTAÇÃO DA SIDERÚRGICA MENDES JÚNIOR EM JUIZ DE FORA (MG), p. 20" (PDF).CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Pocket Yearbook 2020: A Siderurgia em Números" (PDF). Instituto Aço Brasil. 2020.
- "BNamericas - Belgo's Juiz de Fora plant cuts June output". BNamericas. June 16, 2003.
- "Siderurgia no Brasil 2010-2025 (p. 58)". CGEE (Centro de Gestão e Estudos Estratégicos). November 2010.
- "Quem somos | ArcelorMittal". ArcelorMittal Brasil. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Unidades | ArcelorMittal". ArcelorMittal Brasil (in português). Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "JF 165 anos - A essência da cidade em transformação". Câmara Municipal de Juiz de Fora. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
This page uses material from the Wikipedia page ArcelorMittal Aços Longos under the provisions of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.