Beibu Gulf Port
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Beibu Gulf Port is a seaport in Guangxi province, China. It consists of Fangcheng, Qinzhou, and Beihai ports, and is owned by Guangxi Beibu Gulf International Port Group.
The map below shows Qinzhou, the prefecture-level city where the port is located, leading out to the Beibu Gulf.
The port is in South China's Beibu Gulf, and consists of the Fangcheng, Qinzhou and Beihai ports. Total handling capacity of the ports was about 200 million metric tons in 2012, and expected to rise to 357 million tons by the end of 2015, according to government officials. Yet in 2020, the Beibu Gulf Port had its throughput rise to 222 million tonnes (a 19.6% increase from 2019) in the first ten months of 2020, mainly due to the construction of the New International Land-Sea Trade Corridor, a transit passage built by western China and various countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
As of 2020, the port has 268 berths for commercial vessels, and is linked to 52 shipping routes both in China and abroad (primarily ASEAN ports), which connects the port to over 300 other ports around the world. From 2015 to 2020, the port's container throughput has grown at an average annual rate of over 25 percent.
Proposed terminal with Thailand
In March 2017 Guangxi Beibu Gulf International Port Group signed an agreement with Banpu, Thailand's largest coal trading and mining company, to develop a coal terminal at the Beibu Gulf Port. However, since 2017, there has been no further action on this project.
In late 2020, the China Shipping Terminal Development (CSTD), a subsidiary of COSCO Shipping Ports Limited, announced its intention to acquire 26% of the Beibu Gulf Terminal, which would be worth around 71.9 million RMB.
- Owner: Guangxi Beibu Gulf International Port Group Co
- Location: Qinzhou, Guangxi province, China
- Capacity (Tonnes per year): 46 million
- Status: Operating
- Start year:
- Type: Imports
- Sources of coal:
Articles and resources
- "Capacity of South China ports to hike," China Daily, 2012-07-09
- "China's Guangxi Beibu Gulf Port registers rise in cargo throughput - Xinhua | English.news.cn". www.xinhuanet.com. 2020-11-18. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- "Beibu Gulf Port sees TEU rise by a quarter in H1 2021". Port Technology International. 2021-07-09. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- Xinhua (2020-12-29). "China's Beibu Gulf Port sees record container throughput - Global Times". Global Times. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- "Coal business of Guangxi port ranks No.2 in China," China Coal Resources, Nov 8, 2011
- "Guangxi's Beibu Gulf reaches new stage in development". en.gxzf.gov.cn. 2018-11-19. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- "Banpu to develop coal terminal in Fangcheng," Fairplay, 24 March 2017
- "Port Strategy | Guangxi Beibu Gulf Terminal bid". Port Strategy. 2020-09-17. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- "China's Beibu Gulf Port sees cargo throughput rise 21.68% YoY - International Finance". International Finance. 2020-10-13. Retrieved 2021-07-19.