U.S. Steel Big River Steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Big River Steel is a 3300 thousand tonnes per annum (TTPA) electric steel plant in Osceola, Arizona, United States. It operates two electric arc furnaces (EAF).
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Osceola, Arizona, United States.
Big River Steel is a special "flex mill" that can produce flat products from an electric arc furnace (EAF) and is believed to be one of the most advanced flex mills in the country. One EAF was added in 2017; a new one was added in 2020. According to Big River Steel, the facility is worth $1.3 billion. Big River Steel was bought by the United States Steel Corporation in January 2021.
In 2021, the facility was awarded by Daimler AG for "the exceptionally sustainable production of steel." According to Daimler, the facility has 70% fewer carbon emissions compared to traditional blast-furnace methods of producing steel. The facility also has a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification.
- Alternative plant names: BRS
- Location: 2027 State Hwy 198, Osceola, Arizona 72370, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 35.644264, -89.941659 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 2014 (age 7–8)
- State-owned entity status: N/A
- Parent company: United States Steel Corporation [100%]
- Parent company PermID: 5043335009
- Owner: Big River Steel LLC
- Owner company PermID: 4295903049
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 3300 (EAF)
- Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: unknown
- Steel product category: finished rolled
- Steel products: electrical steel, hot-rolled, hot-rolled pickled and oiled, cold-rolled, cold-rolled motor lamination, galvanized
- Steel sector end users: energy; transport
- Workforce size: 647
- ISO 14001: Yes
- ISO 50001: N/A
- Main production equipment: EAF
- Detailed production equipment: 2 electric arc furnaces (EAF) (one began in 2017, the other in 2020)
Articles and resources
- Overview, Big River Steel, Retrieved on: Aug. 17, 2020
- Hot-Rolled, Big River Steel, Retrieved on: Aug. 17, 2020
- 2021 AIST Electric Arc Furnace Roundup, Association for Iron & Steel Technology, Jan. 2021
- BRS (2020-01-01). "BRS Fact Sheet" (PDF). BRS. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- "United States Steel Corporation Completes Big River Steel Acquisition". www.businesswire.com. 2021-01-15. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- Big River Steel Expanding Arkansas Flex Mill™ $1.2 billion investment will double capacity of technology-based steel mill and recycling facility, Big River Steel, Jun. 2018, Retrieved on: Aug. 17, 2020
- "Daimler honours steel supplier Big River Steel for sustainability". Daimler. 2021-07-16. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- Big River Steel closes deal with U.S. Steel, values Osceola mill at $2.3 billion, Wesley Brown, TB&P, Nov. 11, 2019, Retrieved on: Aug. 17, 2020
- United States Steel Corporation Completes Strategic Investment in Big River Steel, U.S. Steel Corporation, Oct. 31, 2019, Retrieved on: Aug. 17, 2020
- "About Us - Locations - www.ussteel.com". www.ussteel.com. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- BRS (2021-10-21). "People - Big River Steel". Big River Steel. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- BRS (2021). "Quality - Big River Steel". Big River Steel. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- Tour, Big River Steel, Retrieved on: Aug. 17, 2020