Bitola power station
Bitola power station is a 699-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Novaci, North Macedonia, with a proposed 250 MW gas-fired unit.
The undated satellite below shows the plant in Novaci.
The plant consists of three 233 MW units, commissioned in 1982 to 1988. The plant and Suvodol Mine comprise North Macedonia's biggest power production complex which accounts for as much as 70% of the country's electricity. The plant is owned and operated by the state-owned ELEM (ELEktrani na Makedonija) (the Macedonian electricity production company, renamed in 2019 to ESM).
In October 2020 ESM said the first unit of the coal power plant will be switched to natural gas within five years. Gas will be supplied from a planned pipeline, as part of a strategy to abandon lignite use altogether in the country. ESM is investing in the modernization of the power plant’s remaining two units so that they can work for ten more years. New solar plants will be built to bridge the power gap as unit 1 is transitioned from coal to gas.
- Sponsor: Elektrani na Severna Makedonija (ESM)
- Parent company: Elektrani na Severna Makedonija (ESM)
- Location: Novaci, North Macedonia
- Coordinates: 41.05832, 21.484266 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 699 MW
- Unit 1: Coal-fired, 233 MW (start-up in 1982)
- Unit 2: Coal-fired, 233 MW (start-up in 1984)
- Unit 3: Coal-fired, 233 MW (start-up in 1988)
- Gross generating capacity (proposed): 250 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Coal Source: Suvodol coal mine
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- Government orders that ELEM is renamed into “Power Plants of North Macedonia” – ESM, Republika, Mar 19, 2019
- "Coal-Fired Plants in Kosovo & Macedonia," Industcards, accessed April 2016
- "North Macedonia to shut REK Bitola coal plant unit in five years, turn to gas". Balkan Green Energy News. 2020-10-20. Retrieved 2020-10-21.
- North Macedonia: ESM to replace gas capacity for TPP Bitola unit 1, Serbia Energy, Jan 29, 2021
- Structure - AD ESM, ESM, accessed Jun 10, 2021
- Unit 1 of Macedonian Bitola TPP to Be Converted to Gas By 2026, Energetika, Jan 29, 2021