Bursa Keles coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
The Bursa Keles coal mine is a lignite mine, operated by Çelikler Orhaneli Tunçbilek Elektrik Üretim A.Ş. Celikler Insaat, with a capacity of 1.6 million tonnes per annum, near Keleş, Bursa, Turkey.
The mine will power the proposed Bursa power station.
The map below shows the exact location of the Bursa Keles mine in Keleş, Bursa, Turkey.
In 1979 TKI established Bursa Linyitleri İşletmesi (Bursa Lignite Enterprise) or BLİ to exploit the lignite reserves in Orhaneli and Keles. In 2012, TKİ decided to privatize the coalfield through a tender to produce coal and construct a 270 MW power station in the district. The last year before its privatization, TKİ produced 0.9 million tons of lignite coal from Keles and Orhaneli combined. BLİ was acquired by Çelikler Holding's Çelikler Orhaneli Tunçbilek Elektrik Üretim A.Ş alongside the Orhaneli power station and Tunçbilek power station for $521 million.
In 2013, Çelikler Holding applied to Energy Market Regulatory Authority or EMRA for a pre-permit to build a 270 MW power station, and started the EIA process. At the time, the plant was planned to become operational by 2019, and that teles would produce 2 million tons of coal a year to supply the power plant, and around 75 thousand tons to sell to the market. As of June 2021, the power plant is not featured in the company website, and the project appears to be defunt.
According to Çelikler Holding's website, the mine produces 1.65 million tons a year.
- Owner: Çelikler Orhaneli Tunçbilek Elektrik Üretim A.Ş.
- Parent company: Celikler Insaat
- Location: Keleş, Bursa, Turkey
- GPS coordinates: 39.90331, 29.17746 (exact)
- Mine status: operating
- Start year: 1979
- Mineable reserves: 67 MT 
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mine size:
- Mine type: opencast
- Production: 1.6 MTPA
Articles and resources
- Philip M. Mobbs, "2010 Minerals Yearbook: Turkey", United States Geological Survey, April 2012, page 56.7
- (2013) 2012 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu, 34. Report.
- (2014) 2013 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu, 14. Report.
- "Orhaneli Termik Santrali". Enerji Atlası. Retrieved June 22, 2021.
- "Çelikler, Bursa Keles'te santral kurma çalışmalarına başladı Kaynak: Çelikler, Bursa Keles'te santral kurma çalışmalarına başladı". Enerji Günlüğü. July 10, 2013. Retrieved June 22, 2021.
- Communication with CAN Europe, June 2018
- "Bursa Keles Linyit İşletmesi". Çelikler Holding. Retrieved June 22, 2021.
- Company Profile]
- United Nations Economic Comission for Europe, "Turkish Lignite Sector", Turkish Coal Enterprises, ENECE website, Accessed June 2021