Cilacap Sumber power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
The Cilacap power station is a 2,260-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Central Java Province, Indonesia. An expansion project is known as Jawa-8.
The map below shows units 1 and 2 of Cilacap power station on the west, and unit 3 under construction to the east. The plant is in Karangkandri Village, Kesugihan District, Cilacap Regency, Central Java Province.
Cilacap power station is a two-unit coal-fired power plant with a total capacity of 600 MW in Central Java Province. The plant began operating in 2006. The Cilacap Sumber power station was the first large-scale Indonesian power plant completed since the country's 1997-98 financial crisis.
The plant is owned by PT Sumber Segara Primadaya (S2P), which is owned by PT Sumberenergi Sakti Prima (SSP) (51%) and PT PLN subsidiary PT Pembangkitan Jawa-Bali (PJB) (49%). The plant's construction cost $501 million. The plant's operator is PT Segara Sumber Prima.
Description of Unit 3 (660 MW) and Unit 4 (1000 MW) Expansion
In April 2013, the sponsors secured a $700 million loan from the China Development Bank to fund the construction of Unit 3, described as a 660 MW unit. At that time, the company expected to begin construction within 3-6 months.
In December 2014, with construction of Unit 3 scheduled to be completed by the end of 2016, Indonesian government authorities stated that they were urging the plant's owners to accelerate the construction of both the plant and the transmission lines so that it could come online by the end of 2015, in order to help mitigate the looming Java power crisis.
Unit 3 was completed and began commercial operations in June 2016.
In June 2015, it was reported that PT Sumber Segara Primadaya had signed an engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) agreement with Chengda Engineering Company of Chengdu, China. Under the contract, construction of Unit 4 would be completed by 2018. According to the report, the size of the project was 1,000 MW.
In November 2015, PT PLN signed a power purchase agreement for Unit 4, which was reported to be targeted for 2020 operations.
Cilicap Sumber power station Unit 4 is also known as Jawa-8.
Unit 4 entered construction in October 2016. Cost is estimated at US$1.389 billion. In the 2018-2027 RUPTL, Unit 4 was listed as being 945 MW. In November 2018 PLN stated that Unit 4 would be completely built by October 2019.
The government's long-range plan for 2019-2028 lists a completion date of 2020 for Unit 4. Unit 4 was commissioned in October 2019. Unit 4 generates a total of 1,000 MW. It is sometimes described as 945 MW because 55 MW is used to power the Cilacap Sumber plant itself.
Project Details for Expansion
- Sponsor: PT Sumber Segara Primadaya (S2P)
- Parent company: Sumberenergi, PLN
- Location: Karangkandri Village, Kesugihan District, Cilacap Regency, Central Java Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: Units 1 and 2: -7.68575, 109.08977; Units 3 and 4: -7.6832417, 109.096384 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Unit 3), Operating (Unit 4)
- Gross Capacity: Unit 3: 660 MW; Unit 4: 1,000 MW
- Type: Unit 3: Supercritical; Unit 4: Ultra-supercritical
- In service: Unit 3: 2016; Unit 4: 2019
- Coal Type: Subbituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: Bank of China (US$1 billion); Bank Rakyat Indonesia (US$300 million); China Development Bank (US$700 million)
Articles and resources
- “PLN Long Term Electricity Plan (2013-2023),” presentation by Moch. Sofyan, Head of New & Renewable Division of PT PLN (Persero), 06 March 2014
- "Coal-Fired Power Plants in Indonesia" Power Plants Around the World, accessed August 17, 2011.
- "Coal-Fired Power Plants in Indonesia" PSIREN, accessed August 17, 2011.
- "Indonesia's Cilacap power plant operation halted due to coal supply disruption" Forbes.com, June 28, 2011.
- Lili Sunardi. PLTU Cilacap: Sumber Segara Primadaya Dapat Pinjaman US$700 Juta. Bisnis Indonesia, 3 Apr. 2013.
- Gentur Putro Jati. Takut Ancaman Krisis Listrik, Pemerintah Kebut PLTU Cilacap. CNN Indonesia, 8 Dec. 2014.
- "PT SSP – Cilacap Coal Power Plant Expansion 660 MW – Central Java," Construction Intelligence Center, accessed October 2016
- "Sumber Segara, China's Chenda to start construction of Cilacap mega power plant," RambuEnergy, June 10, 2015
- "PLN Teken Kontrak PLTU Cilacap Ekspansi 1000 MW," Listrik.org, 6 November 2015
- "Market Sounding IPP Procurement for 2016," PT PLN, 8 December 2015
- Michael Agustinus, "PLTU 'Raksasa' di Cilacap Rp 18,2 T Mulai Dibangun," Cybernews, October 12, 2016
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2018-2027, PT PLN Persero, V-4
- Kebutuhan meningkat, PLN akan tambah pasokan batubara, Kontan, Nov. 27, 2018
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2018-2027, PT PLN Persero, p.V-43
- PLTU Ekspansi II Mulai Beroperasi, Satelit Post, Oct. 7, 2019
- "China's Global Energy Finance," BU, accessed October 2018