Indramayu power station
Indramayu power station (also known as Indramayu Sumuradem) is a 990-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in West Java Province, Indonesia. A further 2,000 MW has been proposed.
The photo below shows the plant, located in Sumur Adem Village, Sukra District, Indramayu Regency, West Java Province.
Background on Plant
The Indramayu power station is a three-unit, 990-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Indonesia's West Java Province, owned by PLN. The three units of the Indramayu power station were built under Fast Track Program (FTP) Phase I. The three units were financed by a US$562 million loan from the China Development Bank, and built by CNEEC and Sinomach of China.
In December 2014, Indramayu Regency officials alleged that a former Regency government official, Irianto M.S. Syafiuddin, had embezzled 4.1 billion Rupiah, or about $300,000, in the land acquisition process for the Indramayu plant in 2004.
Description of Expansion
PLN is planning to build two additional 1,000-MW coal-fired units at this plant. Environmental permits have been difficult to obtain, and have caused significant delays, with the company still waiting on these permits as of December 2014. The company was hoping to begin construction in 2015, but was uncertain whether it would be able to.
The 2015-2014 power supply plan for PT PLN lists the projected starting dates for Units 4 and 5 as 2019 and 2024 respectively.
The 2016-2025 and the 2017-2026 power supply plans for PT PLN no longer list Indaramayu Unit 5. It appears the project has been abandoned. However, a May 2017 article on potential JCIC funding describes the project as 2 x 1000 MW, suggesting that Unit 5 is still under development. In the report, the Central Business Division Director of Central Java PLN, Nasri Sebayang, said that a 2 x 1000 MW expansion is now in the preparation stage of the tender documents for JICA funding, with construction beginnning in 2018 and ending in 2021. The plant would require US$4 billion.
On December 6, 2017, the environmental permit for Units 4 & 5 was revoked by Bandung Administrative Court Judges. This ruling was in response to a lawsuit filed by Mekarsari and surrounding villagers who are members of the Indramayu Smoke Free Network (JATAYU). The residents argued the environmental permit for PLN’s proposed expansion had been improperly issued and there had been no public consultation with the affected communities. The decision will likely be appealed and ruled on by a higher court.
In June 2018, PT PLN Persero announced that the targeted completion date for Units 4 & 5 had been postponed to 2027.
The long-range plan for 2019-2028 lists Unit 4 with a target completion date of 2026, but does not list Unit 5, indicating that it is cancelled. In October 2019, it was reported that PLN was seeking funding that would allow it proceed with the development of Unit 4.
Financing for Expansion
The expansion has been opposed by local residents, who say the existing plant has already resulted in negative impacts to their livelihoods, and that the expansion would displace needed farming land. Executive Director of WALHI West Java Dadan Ramdan described the December 2017 revocation of the environmental permit for PLTU Indramayu 2 as a victory for villagers.
In September 2018, two environmentalists who had protested the Indramayu expansion were arrested and charged with raising an inverted national flag, which is a crime under Article 24 of Law No. 24/2009.
The construction of PLTU Indramayu 2 significantly decreased the productivity of nearby agricultural land, covering a total area of 275.4 hectares. As a result, 790 farm laborers lost their jobs which are their cultural roots.
- Sponsor: PLN
- Parent company: PT PLN Persero
- Location: Sumur Adem Village, Sukra District, Indramayu Regency, West Java Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -6.2747375, 107.9704303 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Units 1-3); Announced (Unit 4); Cancelled (Unit 5)
- Gross Capacity: 2,990 MW (Units 1-3: 3 x 330 MW; Units 4 & 5: 2 x 1,000 MW)
- Type: Subcritical (Units 1-3); Supercritical (Units 4 & 5)
- In service: 2010 (Unit 1); 2011 (Units 2 & 3); 2026 (Unit 4)
- Coal Type: Subbituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: Units 1-3: US$562 million in debt from the China Development Bank
Articles and resources
- "Coal-Fired Plants Financed by International Public Investment Institutions Since 1994", Appendix to Foreclosing the Future: Coal, Climate and International Public Finance: Investment in coal-fired power plants hinders the fight against global warming, Environmental Defense, April 2009.
- “Electricity Policy Development & Investment Opportunity in Indonesia,” presentation by Ministry Energy and Mineral Resources, Directorate General of Electricity, March 2014
- "Indramayu Coal Power Plant," Global Energy Observatory, accessed April 2014
- "China's Global Energy Finance," BU, accessed October 2018
- Yance Diduga Korupsi Rp 4,1 Miliar di Proyek PLTU Sumur Adem, Kompas, 5 Dec. 2014.
- Pembangunan PLTU II Terganjal Izin, Radar Cirebon, 27 Jan. 2014.
- Pembangunan PLTU II Indramayu Tunggu Amdal, Republika, 4 Dec. 2014.
- "Executive Summary: Electricity Supply Business Plan, PT PLN (Persero) 2015-2014,"
- “Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik, PT PLN (Persero), 2016-2025,” Kementerian Energi Dan Sumber Daya Mineral, June 2016
- Muhammad Idris, "PLTU Indramayu Project 2x1.000 MW Financed by Japanese Loan Rp 53 T," detikFinance, 29 March 2017
- Gugatan Warga Desa Mkarsari Dikabulkan Majelis Hakim PTUN Bandung Mencabut Izin Lingkungan PLTU Indramayu 2 WALHI, Dec. 8, 2017
- ENERGI LISTRIK : Jadwal Operasi PLTU Indramayu 2 Diundur, Surabaya, Jun. 21, 2018
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2019-2028, PT PLN Persero, V-38
- Jelang HLN KE-74, PLN UIP JBT I Bangun 3.093,2 mw Untuk Listrik Jawa Bali, Komas, Oct. 25, 2019
- "Court revokes permit for Indramayu 2 | News | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-11-05.
- "Expansion Plan of Indramayu Coal-fired Power Plant in West Java, Indonesia" (PDF). sekitan. November 2019.
- "Locals Protest Indramayu II Steam Power Plant Project," GRES News, 25 February 2016
- Free Sawin And Sukma Stop The Environmental Criminalization, WAHLI, Oct. 17, 2018
- WALHI Calls for Complete Cessation of Coal PLTU Funding, Here's a List of Projects, PT Kolaborasi Mediapreneur Nusantara, Mar. 10, 2021