Cora Coal Terminal
Cora Terminal is a terminal used for coal and coke located in Rockwood, Illinois.
The terminal is located at mile 98.5 of the upper Mississippi River.
- Operator: Kinder Morgan Energy Partners
- Location: Rockwood, Illinois
- Capacity (Million tonnes per annum): 11
- Status: Operating
- Type: Exports
The terminal was owned by Kinder Morgan Energy Partners. On November 10, 2016, Watco Companies reached a definitive agreement with Kinder Morgan Terminals to purchase 20 bulk terminal operations in the United States, including Cora Terminal.
Sightline Institute reports "track record of pollution, lawbreaking, and cover-ups" at Kinder Morgan facilities
An April 2012 report by the environmental think tank Sightline Institute, "The Facts about Kinder Morgan," , lists a series of legal violations and pollution incidents at various Kinder Morgan terminals. The report includes the following:
- "In Louisiana, Kinder Morgan’s coal export facilities are so dirty that satellite photos clearly show coal dust pollution spewing into the Mississippi River."
- "In South Carolina, coal dust from Kinder Morgan’s terminal contaminates oysters, pilings, and boats. Locals have even caught the company on video washing coal directly into sensitive waterways."
- "In Virginia, Kinder Morgan’s coal export terminal is an open sore on the neighborhood, coating nearby homes in dust so frequently that even the mayor is speaking out about the problem."
- "In Portland, Kinder Morgan officials bribed a ship captain to illegally dump contaminated material at sea, and their operations have repeatedly polluted the Willamette River."
- "Kinder Morgan has been fined by the US government for stealing coal from customer’s stockpiles, lying to air pollution regulators, illegally mixing hazardous waste into gasoline, and many other crimes."
- "Kinder Morgan’s pipelines are plagued by leaks and explosions, including two large dangerous spills in residential neighborhoods in British Columbia."
Articles and resources
- "Cora Terminal," Union Pacific, accessed May 2015
- Daniel Cusick,"Peabody to boost exports from Gulf Coast as Pacific Northwest terminal plans stall," ClimateWire, July 18, 2012.
- "Kinder Morgan" Kinder Morgan Website, accessed May 19, 2012.
- "Watco To Purchase 14 Inland River Terminals From Kinder Morgan," Waterways Journal, Dec 5, 2016
- Eric de Place, "The Facts about Kinder Morgan," Sightline Institute, April 2012