Cypress Mine is a coal mine in Kentucky, United States. Together with the Poplar Grove Mine, they are part of the Buck Creek Mining Complex.
The undated satellite photo below shows the mine in Letcher County, Kentucky.
Cypress Mine (formerly called Buck Creek No.1 Mine) is a thermal coal mine located within the Buck Creek mine complex in the Western Kentucky region of the Illinois Basin. Paringa Resources acquired the Cypress Mine in 2013, along with its adjacent coal lease Poplar Grove mine (formerly called Buck Creek No.2 Mine), located within the Buck Creek mine complex.
Poplar Grove is being developed first. Production on Cypress Mine is planned for 2021.
The Cypress mine is estimated to have an annual production of 3.8 mtpa, and recoverable reserves of 66.2 million tonnes.
In February 2020, Hawthorne Mining Group, a wholly owned subsidiary of Paringa Resources, filed for bankruptcy. In July 2020, Hartshorne Mining announced that it was selling a portion of its assets, which seemed to include Cypress Mine and Poplar Grove mine, according to a 14 News article. Cypress mine remained undeveloped.
- Owner: Hartshorne Mining Group
- Parent: Paringa Resources
- Mine Status: Proposed
- Start year: 2021
- Production Capacity: 3.8 mtpa
- Recoverable Reserves: 66.2 million tonnes
- Proposed Capacity: 3.8 million tonnes per annum
- Location: Deane, Letcher County, Kentucky
- Coordinates: 37.18, -82.79 (exact)
- Coal Type: Thermal
- Mining Method: Underground
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Kentucky and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "Poplar Grove Mine (Buck Creek No.2 Mine), Kentucky," Mining Technology, accessed August 2019
- "Buck Creek Mine Complex," Paringa Resources, accessed August 2019
- "Investor Presentation," Paringa Resources, June 2019
- "Cypress Mine (Buck Creek No.1 Mine), Illinois Basin, Western Kentucky," Mining Technology, accessed August 2019
- "Summary of Results of Final Technical Studies," Paringa Resources, accessed August 2019
- "Hartshorne Mining Group to conduct sale process for operating Poplar Grove mine and undeveloped Cypress project through a Court-supervised process," "PR Newswire," February 20, 2020.
- "Hartshorne Mining Company selling assets," "14 News," July 2, 2020.
- "Cypress Project," "Mining Data Solutions," accessed July 2020.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration