Poplar Grove Mine
Poplar Grove Mine is a coal mine in Kentucky, United States. Together with the Cypress Mine, they are part of the Buck Creek Mining Complex.
The undated satellite photo below shows the mine in Letcher County, Kentucky.
Poplar Grove Mine (formerly called Buck Creek No.2 Mine) is a thermal coal mine located within the Buck Creek mine complex in the Western Kentucky region of the Illinois Basin. Paringa Resources acquired the Poplar Grove mine in 2013, along with its adjacent coal lease, Cypress Mine (formerly called Buck Creek No.1 Mine), located within the complex.
The estimated total investment for the project is $44.7 million. In April 2017, Paringa secured a $20m debt facility from Macquarie Bank Limited to commence construction of the mine.
The mine is estimated to have an annual production of 2.8 mtpa, and recoverable reserves of 67.7 million tonnes.
- Owner: Paringa Resources
- Parent: Paringa Resources
- Mine Status: Operating
- Start year: 2018
- Current Capacity: 2.8 million tonnes per annum
- Recoverable Reserves: 67.7 million tonnes
- Proposed Capacity:
- Location: Rumsey, Letcher County, Kentucky
- Coordinates: 37.4706766,-87.2600214 (exact)
- Coal Type: Thermal
- Mining Method: Underground
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "Poplar Grove Mine (Buck Creek No.2 Mine), Kentucky," Mining Technology, accessed August 2019
- "Buck Creek Mine Complex," Paringa Resources, accessed August 2019
- "Investor Presentation," Paringa Resources, June 2019
- "Summary of Results of Final Technical Studies," Paringa Resources, accessed August 2019