Drake coal mine
The Drake Coal Project is an operating, open cut coal mine proposed by Drake Coal, a subsidiary of QCoal Pty Ltd. The mine is located 12 km south of Collinsville in Queensland’s north Bowen Basin and was opened in 2014. Coal from Drake Mine is railed to the Abbot Point Coal Terminal for export.
Mining operations will extract approximately 10 million tonnes per year (Mt/y) of run of mine (ROM) coal, which will then be processed to produce 6Mt/y of product coal for export. With around 200 Mt of economically recoverable coal, the anticipated life of the mine is 25 to 30 years.
The satellite photo below shows the exact location of the existing mine. It lies south of the village of Collinsville, Queensland, Australia.
- Sponsor: Drake Coal Pty Ltd
- Parent Company: QCoal
- Location: 17km south of Collinsville in Bowen Basin, Queensland.
- GPS Coordinates: -20.677998, 147.784974 (approximate)
- Status: operating
- Production Capacity: 6 million tonnes per year
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 200 Mt of economically recoverable coal
- Coal type: hard coking and thermal coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: open cut
- Start Year: 2014
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- "Drake Mine," "QCoal Group," accessed June 2020.
- "Terms of Reference for the Drake Coal Project Environmental Impact Statement," "Department of Environment and Resource Management," December 2010.
- "Drake coal project," "Queensland Government," accessed June 2020.
- "Drake Mine", QCoal Group, accessed February 2020.