El Segundo mine
El Segundo mine is a surface coal mine, owned and operated by Peabody Energy, producing 5.5 million short tons per annum, near Grants, New Mexico, United States.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
The mine is adjacent to the Lee Ranch mine in northwest New Mexico. It produces about 6 million tons of coal annually and serves a 19-year, 65 million ton supply agreement with Arizona Public Service Company’s Cholla Power Plant near Joseph City, Arizona.
In November 2015 Bowie Resources agreed to pay US$358 million to Peabody Energy for the Twentymile Mine outside Steamboat Springs and the El Segundo mine and Lee Ranch mine in New Mexico. Bowie also will assume about $105 million in related liabilities under the sale.Sale of the mine to Bowie Resources was canceled in 2016
- MSHA ID:2902257
- Owner: Peabody Energy
- Location: Grants, New Mexico, United States
- Coordinates: 35.661613, -107.861627 (exact)
- Production: 5,546,491 short tons (2018)
- Reserves: 34 million tons
- Type of coal: Bituminous
- Mine type: surface (open pit)
- Equipment: Dragline, dozer/casting, truck/shovel
- Number of employees: 100
- "Peabody Energy commissions first new coal mine in New Mexico in 20 years", High Beam Research, August 2008.
- Dennis Webb, "Struggling Bowie buys three mines in 2 states ," Sentinel, November 24, 2015
- "Peabody Energy Sues Bowie Over Collapse of $358 Million Mine Sale" The Wall Street Journal, June 2, 2016
Related SourceWatch articles
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- New Mexico and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Peabody Western Coal Company Southwest Operations, Peabody Energy website