Lee Ranch mine
Lee Ranch coal mine in New Mexico was operated by Peabody Energy Western Coal Company.
The mine is located 27 miles north of Grants, New Mexico.
- Owner: Peabody Energy
- Location: 27 miles north of Grants, New Mexico
- GPS coordinates: 35.493609594015126 N, 107.67399787902832 W
- Annual Production: 5,358,749 short tons
- Type of coal: sub-bituminous
- Mine type: surface
- Number of employees: 240
The mine produces approximately 6 million tons of coal per year. 
Sale of the mine to Bowie Resources
In November 2015 Bowie Resources agreed to pay US$358 million to Peabody Energy for the Twentymile Mine outside Steamboat Springs and the El Segundo mine and Lee Ranch mine in New Mexico. Bowie also will assume about $105 million in related liabilities under the sale.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- New Mexico and coal
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Peabody Western Coal Company Southwest Operations, Peabody Energy website, accessed May 2009.
- Dennis Webb, "Struggling Bowie buys three mines in 2 states ," Sentinel, November 24, 2015
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration