|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Graspan Colliery is an opencast coal mine included in Glencore's Middelburg Complex (MBO) in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine in Mpumalanga province, South Africa.
Graspan mine was previously owned and operated by Shanduka Coal.
In 2020, the Graspan mine was put on care and maintenance in response to COVID-19.
- Operator: Izimbiwa Coal
- Owners: Phembani (50%) and Glencore (50%)
- Location: Mpumalanga province, South Africa
- GPS Coordinates: -25.78691, 29.40903 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 1.8 million tonnes per annum
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal Type: Thermal
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Mine Size:
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and Resources
- GRASPAN Colliery Extension: Portion 31 Opencast Mine, South African Heritage Resources Agency, August 2014.
- Martin Creamer, Glencore continues to engage to minimise Covid-19 impact, Mining Weekly, April 14, 2020
- 2021 Reserves and Resources Report, Glencore, accessed July 2022.
- Coal, Glencore website, accessed July 2022.
- Izimbiwa Coal, Phembani website, accessed July 2022.
- Graspan Colliery, Global Energy Observatory, accessed July 2022.
- Thomas R. Yager, "The Mineral Industry of South Africa", 2005 Minerals Yearbook, U.S. Geological Survey, August 2007. (Pdf)