Hidrovias do Brasil LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Hidrovias do Brasil LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG Terminal in the state of Pará, Brazil.
The proposed LNG facility would be located at Hidrovias do Brasil's existing Private Use Terminal at the port of Vila do Conde, Barcarena, Pará state, Brazil.
- Owner: Hidrovias do Brasil Vila do Conde S.A.
- Parent company: Hidrovias do Brasil S.A.
- Location: Porto de Vila do Conde, Barcarena, Pará state, Brazil
- Coordinates: -1.504466, -48.736698 (approximate)
- Capacity: 14 million cubic meters per day
- Status: Proposed
- Type: Import
- Start Year:
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
The proposed LNG terminal would be an expansion of Hidrovias do Brasil' existing Private Use Terminal in the port of Vila do Conde. Designed to supply natural gas to Hidrovias' proposed 1666 MW Vila do Conde power station, it would include berth space for a 14 million m³/day FSRU (floating storage and regasification unit), along with 200,000 m³ of LNG storage. Up to 6.7 million m³ per day of natural gas would be transported via a 2-kilometer pipeline from the FSRU to the Vila do Conde power plant.
Hidrovias do Brasil has already received preliminary approval for the project from the state of Pará's Secretary of the Environment (SEMAS) and from the Pará state port authority (Companhia de Docas do Pará). The project was entered in Brazil's October 2019 energy auction, but got passed over in favor of Celsa's nearby Barcarena LNG Terminal. Hidrovias do Brasil is reportedly planning to renew its bid for the project in Brazil's next energy auction.
Hidrovias do Brasil already has a commitment from Shell International Trading Middle East Limited to supply natural gas for the project from the United States and other countries in Shell's portfolio, as well as an agreement with Distribuidora de Gás do Pará to distribute up to 300,000 m³ per day from the terminal in Pará state.
Articles and resources
- "Terminais de Regaseificação de GNL no Brasil: Panorama dos Principais Projetos (pp 35-36)" (PDF). EPE (Empresa de Pesquisa Energética). August 30, 2019.
- "Hidrovias do Brasil Raises R$3.4b in IPO". LAVCA | The Association for Private Capital Investment in Latin America. September 23, 2020.
- "Shell firma acordo para fornecer GNL no Pará - Petróleo Hoje". Petróleo Hoje. November 12, 2019.
- "Shell signs contract to supply LNG in Pará". Brazil Energy Insight. November 14, 2019.
- "Hidrovias do Brasil planeja terminal de GNL no Pará". Valor Econômico.
- "Majors apostam no GNL". Editora Brasil Energia. February 1, 2020.